Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pumps not running  (Read 7820 times)

Jason

• View Profile
Pumps not running
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:15:50 AM »

We tried to start my Hardy H5 last night.  It ran fine when we shut it down this spring.  When we started it last night the circulation pumps would not come on.  I have 2 of them-one on the furnace and one in the cellar on my preexisting oil burner.  There are 2 little "jumper panels" on the back of the Hardy that the pump and blower are plugged into.  You can unplug the pump from the jumper panel and put it onto another slot and the pump on the Hardy will run steady but the one in the basement will not run.  All my power switches are turned on, the plugs have power, we ruled out the basics.  The thermostat in the house is turned on.    Also, my low water light is on and will not shut off even though the furnace is full and the float is not stuck.

Anybody have any ideas?  Anyone ever have similar troubles?
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

ckbetz

• View Profile
Re: Pumps not running
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:54:02 AM »

Put your hand on the circulator and see if it's humming or anything.  With an open air system you can get tiny particles that settle out because of the rust inhibitors in your system.  I've had to take my large taco circulators apart and "jump start" them more than once.  If they are in fact tacos you can just loosen the four small bolts and remove the cartridge to make sure everything is ok.
Pomeroy, Ohio

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:22:09 PM »

Both circulators (they are indeed Tacos)were dead-no vibration or humming.  My father in law got it going while I was at work today.  Some type of voltage issue.  I haven't even talked about it with him yet.  Thanks for the advice.  Will file that info for future use. 

:thumbup:
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

NC4AB

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Brinkley Electronics
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »

The circulator on the Hardy stoves are normally controlled by a thermostat.  If the thermostat is not calling for heat, the pump won't run.
check for 24 VAC on the relay coil on the rear of the stove.  No 24 VAC, no pump run. 
Andy
--------------------------------------------
Hardy H2 (1987)
Stihl 011
Stihl 028
Stihl 039

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »

It was something about a low voltage wire.  Not real sure yet.  I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »

I decided to work on the stove today.  I wanted to make a few changes over the summer, but as usual, it got put off til the last minute.  Today, I welded in a few new fittings for a sight glass, and installed a long pipe into the water jacket as a supply for the water to my house.  I am hoping to use the hotter water on top of  the tank instead of pulling off the lower back of the stove as I did last year.  I built the fire at 4:30pm, and by 8:30pm, the water temp was up to 160 degrees.  I am very happy with the OWB.  I will never be without one. 

Now the problem,,,,,,,,   I turned on the pumps and everything seemed fine.  Both pumps were sounding great.  After about an hour, one of the pumps started making a "clicking" sound inside the electrical box on the side, and only "hummed", but didn't seem to be pumping.  It also started to "smoke" a little bit.  I shut it down, and a couple hours later I tried it again, and it seems to be fine.  I thougth maybe it had a small particle stuck in it momentarily.

Any ideas??
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

Alan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:45:38 AM »

I think time for new pump .     When they smoke don't last long then.
Alan  Marydale ky

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »

I can tell you one bonehead move NOT to make...from experience.  I put the replacement cartridge on the inside of the flange before I hooked it into the line, then opened the valve.  Water rushed through the pump, and it only takes a little moisture to fry one.  So, I fried one...make certain there's no moisture inside the windings or it's fried.
Pomeroy, Ohio

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »

I tried the pump again, and it has run great for 24 hours, with no issues.  I'm going to go ahead and buy a spare "just in case". 

I'm sure if I am going to have problems, it won't be on a warm day, it will be at 2:15 am, in a hard rainstorm, just about the same time I find a wasp nest in my insulation.  That's how my luck usually goes,,,,LOL.

Thanks everyone,,,
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 07:39:32 PM »

If you're like me, it will also be 35 degrees during that hard rainstorm.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA