Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: creosote build up affecting aquastat temp sensing accuracy  (Read 1748 times)

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
creosote build up affecting aquastat temp sensing accuracy
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:41:13 PM »

I have a temp gauge on the front of my stove and the aquastat in the rear of the stove. I recently tightly insulated the rear of the stove but left plenty of room around my aquastat. I have only had the stove for a month and noticed it kicks on and off 5 degrees less than what my front temp gauge was reading. I don't remember this being like this when I first got it. I am wondering since I haven't been running 170-180 temps if this can affect the temp sensor on my aquastat? I left for a couple days today and turned it up to 185 since it seems to be 5 degrees off and set the diff at 15 degree. Filled with wood and hopefully I burn the hell out of any creosote buildup to where my aquastat will function like it did a month ago. I can now see the possible benefit of running higher temps. I would say a person could run low temps all year long if they were burning 100% dry perfext seasoned wood. Any opinions will help. Thanks

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
Re: creosote build up affecting aquastat temp sensing accuracy
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »

I have seen that with the dryer wood I can run at a lower temp. and be ok. But when it got a little cold for a few days I had to use some wood that we was letting dry out and left the stove at 165 with a 15 difference that I had a creosote build up just in a few days. I have moved my stove temp back to 180 with a 10 degree difference and it has blowed a lot of it out.
Also read that when you get some build up burn a load of cardboard and it will burn it away. Haven't tried that yet but I am going to next week with the temp. going back into the 40's will let you know how it does.