Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Burnrite Model 228 - Anyone have one or a manual?  (Read 9149 times)

Hofzer

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
Burnrite Model 228 - Anyone have one or a manual?
« on: December 11, 2020, 11:11:39 AM »

Hello all.  I'm new to using an OWB.  I recently purchased a 1900's farm house (think 6' tall single pane windows) heated by a Burnrite Model 228.

I'm looking for a manual on the stove or someone who is knowledgeable on these models.  The model seems simple and solidly constructed, but I'd like to understand it anatomy more so that I can appropriately maintain it.  For example, there is a bar that protrudes out of the front, above the door, with a 45 degree bend up.  This could be some type of damper control or exchanger cleaner.  However, with it being seized in place (I can only move it an inch or two in/out of the stove, with maximum effort), it is difficult to surmise the function.

The company, formerly located here in MI, went out of business a few years ago and I can't verify whether the individual previously listed as the owner/registered agent is the individual with the same name who is currently serving time.  Online info seems to be limited to what I can pull from the old website via the WayBackMachine.com.

If someone were to have a manual they could share or experience with one of these models, I would be grateful. 

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Burnrite Model 228 - Anyone have one or a manual?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 04:07:53 AM »

I've never heard of that one.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Hofzer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »

This seems to be a local outfit.  Distribution was probably limited to MI.  Mine looks to have been installed in 1997 and they went out of business around 2016, so they had a decent run.

Sorry in advance for any delay in responding.  It appears as a "newbie" all my posts await approval before appearing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:08:05 AM by Hofzer »

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 09:17:07 PM »

If you look inside the firebox directly below the chimney, do you see a square or rectangular panel? If so, it is attached to the lever and it supposed to be able to pull out when loading the stove to make less smoke come out the door.

Hofzer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 08:23:13 AM »

If you look inside the firebox directly below the chimney, do you see a square or rectangular panel? If so, it is attached to the lever and it supposed to be able to pull out when loading the stove to make less smoke come out the door.

The stack is in the middle/back.  There is a rectangular plate in the top front of the firebox.  The general description lists a "smoke by-pass" as one of the features.  This is my best guess too. 

It still would be helpful to understand the exhaust path as I'd like to clean it out.  I strongly suspect the previous owner performed minimal maintenance.  The stove was caked in creosote when I took possession.  I recently replaced the blower fan and even the wheel housing had creosote.  The airbox in the door was caked on the inside.  Judging by the difference in airflow, the previous blower fan had been underperforming, probably for some time.  If there was that much creosote where smoke isn't supposed to go, I can only imagine how much there is in the exhaust path I can't see.

If it's any help, I've attached a picture and linked the old website:  https://web.archive.org/web/20160319072123/http://www.burnritestoves.com/models/228-gallon-outdoor-wood-stove

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »

This seems to be a local outfit.  Distribution was probably limited to MI.  Mine looks to have been installed in 1997 and they went out of business around 2016, so they had a decent run.

Sorry in advance for any delay in responding.  It appears as a "newbie" all my posts await approval before appearing.

Ive bumped your post count to 10 since your obviously not a spammer. You should be able to post at will now.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Hofzer

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »

Also, RSI (or anyone):

If my blower is in my door and my stack is in the middle(ish), wouldn't one expect the exhaust path to start at the front of the firebox, head to the back, then loop back toward the front and out the middle, or something like that?

I'm kicking my self for not doing more exploring(and cleaning) when I shut it down for a day in September to replace/treat the water.  It's also my source of hot water, so I was in a hurry to get it back in operation.

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 07:22:31 PM »

The pictures of it looks very similar to a lot of other brands that used the same general design. They had a trough at the top of the firebox. The smoke entered at the front of the firebox and then went back to the chimney from there. Then there was a sliding door directly below the chimney that was connected to the lever on the front above the door. You pulled out on the lever to open the bypass door while filling the stove to let smoke out easier so it didn't come out the door as much.
Most of them would detach the lever from the plate if you twisted it before pulling it out. If it is just loose feeling then it is probably out of place.