Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: thermopex or logstor  (Read 4274 times)

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
thermopex or logstor
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:16:33 PM »

I'm new to the forum . But I have had a Heatmor 200css sense 1996 . I have 220 feet of under ground line 2 zones   pex al with sprayed in close cell foam. I have used 10 cords of oak every year and thats wet oak fresh off the semi :) and yes If it was dry I would say I would only burn 7-8 cord . lol  Now I'm adding a 3rd zone . and looking at either logstor or thermopex . I have ruled out inso seal as my ground is heavy clay and flat and in a woods so you dig a hole you just made a spring pond . I can't have any risk of water touching lines . small crack in sewer pipe or plastic means cutting to much wood . All products have there placed to be used . I also have to go under my driveway with this 3rd zone . My question is Logstor or thermopex . I dont know anyone local that has used either one installed .With this 3rd zone I will be heating 3500 square feet to 70f and 2000 square feet to 50f All is very well insulated . So it will be at max for my heatmor 200css. Might just break the 10 cord a year for sure .  This looks like a great forum. wish it was here in 1996 would of stopped me from trying the foam box and plastic idea ( yes I been there and did that ) nothing like cutting 220 feet of foam and making a box and finding out the next year it has to be riped out and $1000 of close cell foam sprayed in . Live and learn .. any info would be great . I'm in MN
Heat550

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: thermopex or logstor
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »

Logstor has some more features than that of thermopex, it has an additional barrier just inside the casing that really helps maintain the value of the insulation.

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »

I believe Logstor is 26mm pex which would be a lot better than 1" for a run that far.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 09:14:43 PM »

I believe Logstor is 26mm pex which would be a lot better than 1" for a run that far.

Yep you've gotta use compression fittings
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »

So the pex tubing is thicker on the logstor then the thermopex ?  My first 2 zones are pex with aluminum . The 3rd Zone witch i'm adding only has to run 60 ft . I'm Thinking logstor might be my choice . Thanks for the replys . Going to look at the thermopex next week. I seen the logstor at our statefair. 
Heat550

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 12:58:49 AM »

It is just metric instead of regular. You can't get fittings as easily for it but it will give you better flow.

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 05:57:59 PM »

I got to look at both on a roll today thermopex and logstor. First off the thermopex is a hard shell plastic . logstore is more of a rubber flex style outside coating. And the logstor inside pipes are just a bit bigger. Both look like a bugger to bend around to get them where you want them very stiff. Im thinking the rubber more flex outside is a plus less chance of water leak lets put it this way forgiving. Thermopex stated in there ad about lines not being on center in other brands well whos going to cut both lines the long way to check . And besides keeping water out is number one insulation is number 2 . I'm leaning for the logstor even though its 1 dollar more a foot . Question is over time what going to brake down faster in the ground rubberized plastic or hard shell plastic . When I did my first install with foam boxes and black drain pipe only ran one year and the black drain pipe was all cracked and brittle and the heat broke it all down . whos to say what either of these outside coatings are going to act like when subjected to 180f to a stove shut down -10f .

Heat550