Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Giant Hedge!  (Read 4967 times)

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Giant Hedge!
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »

Anyone else seen a 60" diameter hedge? About 4' after the base, it split into 4 branches. Each branch was about 20" in diameter and yielded at least 1 cord each. One branch was pretty close to 2 cords. Needless to say, I hit the I jackpot this week!

I'll be splitting it over the next couple weeks and burning it next year. Any of you ever burn much hedge? I'm excited! It is firewood gold!

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Hedge!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 04:31:46 AM »

monkey ball tree.....Orange something or other...little hellp here
North east Ohio
Since 1960

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:02:15 AM »

Country - Good find!  How much firewood is that stump do you figure?  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

doow14

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:50:09 AM »

osage orange,dont get no better than that.you can season that stuff a couple years.I burned 30 or 40 year old headge fence posts couple years ago It was damn near imposible to cut.Great score,you'll love it.Stay warm D
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:02:33 AM »

Doow is right. Osage orange is the other name for hedge. Hardest hottest firewood know to man. 30 million BTUs per cord!

Rodger, I did some quick math and came up with .9 cords. But, it won't be on my pile! First of all, my 20" bar won't get the job done and there is fence and barb wire all up in it. It is the property owners problem now. I'm excited! I think I'll end up with 5 cords ready for next winter!

It was my first hedge experience. It cuts just like any outgrew wood when it is green. In fact, I went through more chains cutting red oak than I did this stuff. I also split some and it splits a lot like oak. The key here is it is green! Once it dries, all bets are off! After a couple years of drying, your chains will spark!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Mountain Duck

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: MF 10000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 08:42:56 AM »

I burned a bunch in my indoor stove the last couple years (before OWB)  I burns great!  Not a problem in the OWB, but NEVER stoke a hedge fire at 2 AM in nothing but your boxer shorts!!!  You'll cut some dance moves you never knew you had!!   (It sparks really bad)

I cut some the other day that I thought would be somewhat dry, but still had a lot of the milky sap coming out of it.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:08:55 AM »

If you cut off the trunk at the ground, I would guess that you have either 2 or 4 trees that came up and grew together.  If the wire you referred to goes thru the middle of the tree, that would be a real giveaway of the multiple tree stem idea.  24-30 inches is the biggest single stem I have run into and I cut a lot of hedge and is mostly all I burn this time of year.  Hedge sprouts from the ground with multiple stems a lot.

Out here, Kansas use to be a little more "tree challenged" and they planted hedge as living fences (before barbed wire).  As I understand it, they ground up the hedge balls into a slurry, ran a one bottom plow or dug a ditch where they wanted their fence, and then dumped a line of the slurry into the furrow and covered it back up.  A few years later, their living hedge fence took off.  I think it was later they figured out it was easier to cut the hedge as fence posts and string wire between, but hedge posts last decades buried in the ground, and we still use them for that out here.  I know farmers and ranchers that have old lines of hedge that they "harvest" posts out of about every 20-30 years and they resprout and grow more posts like this for generations.

Once its dried out, it can get a little harder to cut like someone else said!  It can throw sparks and the chain needs to be SHARP.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

doow14

• OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »

Mr nutt is right on with that stuff, cut too size when it's green it can make a saw bounce when its old,and throw sparks that burn right into yer boxers when air hits it,whatch yer boys.stay warm Dwight
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 05:12:22 AM »

thank for the laugh i could picture the dance in front of the stove would bee like early cave man rejoyceing fire to funny ,dose it put out a lot of ash
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

uncle Dave

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: 180
  • wood is the only way to get warm!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »

I had an invitation to cut all the hedge and thorny locust a guy had. He took a track hoe and pushed 50+ trees over. We didn't have to bother with the brush. Seasoned it for a couple of years just burned the last of it. Hedge has sharp thorns every time we worked it I'd come out bloodied, but I'd do it again.
Hardy H4, first fire 11/06,  26 ton spliter, Stihl MS290, Stihl 029 17acre hillside wood lot, locust,hickory, ash, maple, deer, coyotes.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »

As far as ash produced, I take out about a 5-gal bucket every week or two, depending on how cold it is.  I guess I don't pay close enough attention on how much ash when I am burning other wood earlier in the year, but also not as cold.  I am just in the habit of removing ash from the stove on Sunday and if I miss a couple of days, never has been overflowing?
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

Speed

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 09:19:55 AM »

You lucky devil you! I'd love to get my hands on some of that. The only hedge I've seen in this area is along the streets in towns. I don't think they would find it amusing if I started cutting street trees, lol.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 08:50:35 AM »

There's only one way to find out! besides you pay taxes right, lots of those who are to lazy to burn wood around here have the town/state buy thier oil, they call it fuel assistance, why should you be any different?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 08:22:37 PM »

Osage orange and locust both make great fenceposts.

Ironwood has to be cut green as well or find a carbide chain. Also have heard the amish call it hophornbeam, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrya
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »

Best firewood there is, 33 million btu per cord is a safe bet! 

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697