Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moving Firewood  (Read 8160 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Moving Firewood
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:03:59 AM »

I can't remember if I posted a picture of how I move my firewood.  Each pallet is homemade out of pressure treated lumber and each is a half cord.  Once filled, the wood lives in it until I need to burn it.

Beware - This is one heavy load.  As you can see I had to add some weight to the front by filling the loader bucket with cement blocks to keep the front end down.  Roger
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:07:14 AM by Roger2561 »
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Speed

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Firewood
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:10:35 AM »

Roger, I do remember seeing that somewhere here a while back. Are you guys enjoying balmy temps out that way, too? lol

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

Compared to what we are expecting for the night (minus 20 plus) these zro temps we're experiencing will feel balmy.  And, I still have about a foot of snow to clear from my driveway from yesterday's snow storm.  The joys of living in New England.   :)  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »

Compared to what we are expecting for the night (minus 20 plus) these zro temps we're experiencing will feel balmy.  And, I still have about a foot of snow to clear from my driveway from yesterday's snow storm.  The joys of living in New England.   :)  Roger
I hear ya on that!.. I was plowing and  cleaning up and it was -9 below zero!.. Its not bad as long as you keep moving!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:06:03 AM »

Nice set up Roger, Didn't get as cold down here as you had it(-11 right now) but its DAMN cold.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 09:49:19 AM »

Thanks. 

When I got up around 4:30 this morning it was about 18 below zero.  We're expecting a heat wave tomorrow.  The temps may reach into the upper 30's, same for Monday.  Then back to reality, the temps on Tuesday are to tumble back into the single digits for a couple of days.   

I must be getting used to the cold weather though.  I was outside clearing the area of my property I didn't clear from the last storm we got and I found it rather nice.  Granted that was at 10:30am this morning but it only was 2 above zero.  I have more work to do outside this afternoon but because the sun is shining quite a bit it'll be rather comfortable.  I gotta get me a pair of snowshoes.  What a beautiful dayweekend for a nice walk in the woods carrying a camera.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:43:55 PM »

has anyone ever tried a trailer like this, hover over the pallet like Roger has made and pick  it up and move it with the trailer holding the weight instead of the lift on the tractor?
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 04:02:14 AM »

has anyone ever tried a trailer like this, hover over the pallet like Roger has made and pick  it up and move it with the trailer holding the weight instead of the lift on the tractor?

Wood Nutt - I wonder how much weight that thing can handle?  I know the pallets I made, when full weigh a bit over a ton.  But, I like that idea.   It gets the weight off the 3pth, saves on the wear and tear of the tractor, and puts the load on the hauler.  Now you're making the gears rotate in my head on a Sunday of all things :).  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:45:18 AM »

Nice setup Roger, I have made a few of the same setup for buddies of mine, if anybody near me needs forks to make one let me know, I have a friend that has some take offs.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »

thank you guys gave me a new project i love the idel of stacking it only once :post: :thumbup:
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »

The trailer shown is designed to pick up concrete vaults which I googled and they weigh between 2300 and 2700 pounds.  So, 1/2 cord looks to be the upper limit, at least on that commercial made version.  I am thinking a pallet base, slide a couple of lifting beams under the pallet, pull over the pallet with the trailer and hook to the ends of the lifting beam to pick it up.  Probably need to figure out a way to stabilize it too during transit.  I think the 3rd wheel on the trailer helps with the transport, but theoretically, the tractor could be the 3rd wheel.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 11:01:09 AM »

Oh, before I forget - the pallets are nailed together with 20D spikes.  I suggest that if you don't already own a framing hammer, get one.  It takes a bit to drive a 20D spike into pressure treated lumber.  Also, the heavy duty webbing going from one side of the pallet across the top to the other is held in place by a a 1/4 inch by 2 inch lag bolt with a 1 1/4 inch fender washer to keep the bolt head from ripping through the webbing.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

netwerx-r-us

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400HE
    • View Profile
    • Netwerx-R-Us
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »

I do exactly the opposite Roger , I have a front end loader with clamp on forks and use either a pallet I made 7 ft wide 4 ft deep , or when i go up on the ridge i just cut logs 7 -8 ft long and stack them across the forks and strap everything down , lots of weight up front but i use a 6 ft box scraper on the back and it helps level it out , I have a logging road up to the ridge and weighted down if i hit a bump I have had the rear wheels off the ground , serious pucker factor ,, i just take it slow and easy coming down , its usually 2 days worth of wood , keeps me exercising
Netwerx-R-Us
http://netwerx-r-us.com
Kubota 3430 W loader and backhoe
Echo 440
Honda Rancher 400
Kubota ZD326

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 05:14:49 AM »

I do exactly the opposite Roger , I have a front end loader with clamp on forks and use either a pallet I made 7 ft wide 4 ft deep , or when i go up on the ridge i just cut logs 7 -8 ft long and stack them across the forks and strap everything down , lots of weight up front but i use a 6 ft box scraper on the back and it helps level it out , I have a logging road up to the ridge and weighted down if i hit a bump I have had the rear wheels off the ground , serious pucker factor ,, i just take it slow and easy coming down , its usually 2 days worth of wood , keeps me exercising

netwerx-r-us;  I would love to have the forks in front but my loader isn't beefy enough to handle that kind of weight.  As it is, I've max'd the capacity of the 3Ph with the weight pf those pallets. 

You have given me an idea.  When I buck up the log length firewood I have delivered, I pull a log off the pile with a cant hook and cut it on the ground (safer).  It's back breaking work due to lower back problems from my EMS days.  I'll get myself a fork attachment for the front end loader, raise the log to a comfortable height, drive to area where I'll be splitting it and buck it up there.  No more lifting and moving blocks of wood that are 2 feet long from under foot.  My wood splitter is a horizontal/vertical 37 ton Cub Cadet that I always use in Vertical mode.  I simply roll the blocks to the splitter, no lifting involved.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

LittleJohn

• OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »

Wish I had pictures of my setup (tractor/1 ton dually with trailer).  I am not sure of the correct of official name for the trailer, but the old man and several older uncles call it a DREY SKIDDER. 

Basically the trailer has a hydraulic boom/grapple (Prentice loader system) on tongue and then there is a double axle in the back with wood racks.  Can easily haul 16'; only problem is that you need a truck with BIG springs to handle the weigh.  Originally pulled behind 1/2 ton, needless to say about a year later springs in back of truck where shot.  Its nice cause there is also a winch on the unit, so drop tree or pull tree over with winch if in tight spot (like near houses), cut into 8'-16' lengths, winch to trailer, load and drive out of woods or lawn.  Then once I get to landing at the house, one guy operates hyrdaulics (usually holding log at confortable height off ground) and block as required.

One time I got really lazy, blocks were +30" diameter, and used trailer to pick up blocks to put on splitter.
Pages: [1] 2