Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Highly configurable low volt thermostat  (Read 1425 times)

nsflatlander

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Highly configurable low volt thermostat
« on: November 03, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »

Hey, Now that I have the OWB installed (was just finished yesterday, man am I stoked, and is my house ever hot! Yay!) I'm going to bump this up and ask this question a bit differently. Sorry if I'm providing too much info, but I don't want to miss anything important.

In the end, the system was done as follows.

Aquastat is the one that came on the Empire deluxe, and I'm fine letting it control the temp of the water in the system. Which the installer set the SP to 180. The circulator pump to the OWB which includes the sidearm on water heater, is on 24/7.
I've kept my existing furnace setup as is (plus the plenum). The furnace is Oil with from what I can gather is a variable speed fan. I think...there are two switches on a on two metal boxes. One turns on a fan at a low speed, the other a high speed fan. The oil furnace is run off a single thermostat with two wires. It turns on the high fan and the oil. The only way I can figure out how to run the low fan is to turn on the switch directly on the furnace.

Ideally what I'd like is ONE (yes, I'm trying really hard to keep this to one thermostat) low voltage thermostat that I can program the temperatures for the following.

Use the pump for the plenum and the low speed fan to keep the temp in the house at 73.
If the temp drops below 64, it kicks on the high fan (still circulating the pump for the plenum).
If the temp drops below 59, the oil kicks in (plenum pump still circulates, and high fan stays running).
If the temp gets above 25 the pump to the plenum stops (or just doesn't run) and the low speed fan turns on. Essentially circulating the air in the house, trying to cool. (I do not have A/C).

I figure with this setup, if the temp outside causes the house to cool so much (unlikely) or if the fire goes out, the oil will take over.

What do you think of this logic? Is there a thermostat that I can program to do this? That can also be programmed for home and away for week and weekend days. Internet connectivity would be a bonus, but by no means necessity. Also, to remove this from the equation of my question, I would have an electrician do the install in terms of converting hi to low voltage and double throw (if I'm getting the terminology right) to control the pump and fan simultaneously.

At the very least, thank you for reading this whole post.