Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Plumbing question - pressurized.  (Read 1149 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Plumbing question - pressurized.
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:54:10 AM »

Hi all, I heat my home with an CB E-Classic 1400.  I have a 50 plate flat plate heating exchanger separating the pressurized side (oil burner) from the non-pressurized side.  My questions have to with the pressurized side.  My younger bro and I are remodeling the 2nd floor as an apartment for him.  The 2nd floor has never had any heat.  My oil burner is in the basement of my house providing heat to the first floor of my home.  All piping on the 1st floor is 3/4 inch copper feeding baseboard emitters.  I have 3 zones.  A feed manifold with Taco zone valves controlling when the heat gets to the 3 zones.  A Taco pump (size I do not know) is between the return manifold and oil burner.  I have a 4th zone available that was capped off when the oil burner was installed about 20 years ago.  I'd like to use that 4th zone to provide heat to the 2nd floor.  But, I do not know if a zone valve will be okay or if I need a circ pump to get heat to the 2nd floor.  Anyone have any advise how to proceed?  Is this something I should leave to a plumber/HVAC pro do?   Thanks, Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
Re: Plumbing question - pressurized.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »

Easiest way is to have a boiler man come out and size it up for you. You then can make the determination on how, what cost and whether you want to hire it out. Since you are opening everything up for the remodel, you have lots of options for emitters. I don't know how big your house or zones are, but your circ is most likely a 007 especially if its the circ that came with the boiler package.it will usually be blue,black or other than the taco green. But a 007 is what is supplied with any cast iron boiler under 200kbtu input rating. I wouldn't be surprised if the current circ will also do the new zone. If it came with the boiler it will handle the boiler Net IBR.  plate rating.
Michigan Thumber

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Plumbing question - pressurized.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »

Sprinter - thanks for the reply and suggestion.  I'll have the boiler man size it for me.  I'm not afraid of doing the work myself as long as he/she tells me what I need.  Thanks again.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire