Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: in slab heating mixing valve question---heating workshop question  (Read 1674 times)

Ryan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

New user here. I have a three zone heating system (1-baseboard hot water main floor, 2-domestic hot water zone, 3-basement in slab in floor heat zone) My baseboard main floor and domestic hot water zones work great but when I turn the basement in floor heat on it draws a ton of heat which i can expect but returns the water quite cold to the supply. This forces to cool my water dramatically doesnt heat any zone very well. The in floor heat does have a honeywell mixing valve, should it be set as high as it can go or cooler and just let it slowly work? My wood boiler is set to 180 degrees and i have a 50 plate flate plate exchanger being pumped to the house with a bell and gosset pl-36.

My second question is regarding heating another building. My outdoor wood boiler is right next to my workshop approx 10 ft away. It has two supply and two return ports on the back of the stove. I have one set going to my shop and the other to the house. In my shop the previous owner installed a small forced air heat exchanger with a blower. It also has a bell and gossett pl-36, is that pump overkill? Would a taco 007-f5 suffice? I have never turned it but would like to, would it need to continuosly run when not in use? I would just like to turn it on when working occassionaly out there and turn it off when not to save on electric and wood use. It is a short distance 10 feet and the pex is insulated well and buried deep.

Thanks for the input!

caper

• OWF Brand: heatmaster 5000
    • View Profile
Re: in slab heating mixing valve question---heating workshop question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »

sent you a pm,hope it worked...
husky 555
Toyota 4x4
grizzly 700
Harley Street Glide
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »

You will want to set the water temperature lower in the floor loop. Does it have it's own pump?

Is the heater in the shop higher than the boiler? If it is more than a couple feet above the boiler I wouldn't use a 007 pump. It could have issues if you get air in the system. Otherwise it would be better than the PL-36. I would pull that and use as a spare for the house.

rsv101

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Johnson
  • OWF Model: Little John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 07:31:06 AM »

Yes it does have its own pump it's a grundfos 15-58 3 speed set on speed number 3. I turned the mixing valve down and that seemed to help with draw on my hot water supply.

The workshop heater is about the same height as the outdoor boiler. Would there be a better choice for a pump? Perhaps another grundfos? Does the pump need to circulate non-stop or with the close proximity and heat in the water would that be enough to keep from freezing?

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 08:05:58 AM »

Another 15-58 would be better but if you already have an 007 it will work ok too.

When it is above 32 you can shut the pump off. Below that there is a chance of freezing. If the workshop gets below 32 and the pump isn't running the the coils in the heater unit would freeze and crack.