Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Optimizer 250 / Gassing / Tenting Over Nozzle  (Read 11307 times)

jreimer

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizer 250 / Gassing / Tenting Over Nozzle
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 07:45:12 AM »

Sounds like you have an excellent handle on the situation.
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

jreimer

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 11:54:54 AM »

Also a reminder to keep ALL of the primary air holes in the firebox clean and clear. 

My 250 had been gassing great for the last few weeks, but I was having difficulty sustaining gasification burn in the past few days.  I let it burn out and took a look at the primary air supply holes and found a number of them were plugged.  I think they plugged up because of idling during the mild temps we had last week.  Opened them up and voila!  Great gasification again.  You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference because the air volume is about the same, but it does.
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

KevinKD

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 05:42:25 PM »

I was having the same issue with mine. I just bought this home and she came with no firewood. I bought a load of oak that had set one season cut in 8' sticks.... Still pretty green. I'm uncertain where the air settings are since the adjustments are froze up (rusted). I adjusted the fan disc to around 1/4" to 3/8" after reading others suggestions. This helped out, but I believe the biggest change came from adjusting my differential to 5 with a set point of 180. After doing this I haven't seen a temp lower then 168 and she starts gassing moment's after the fan starts. Before the fan would run a couple minutes before she'd start gassing. This also cut my wood consumption down. When possible I try to put smaller loads in more frequently, probably 4 to 5 times a day. However when I have filled it and checked it hours later it seems tent less but the important part is I no longer walk up to it not gassing.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 05:13:29 AM »

I was having the same issue with mine. I just bought this home and she came with no firewood. I bought a load of oak that had set one season cut in 8' sticks.... Still pretty green. I'm uncertain where the air settings are since the adjustments are froze up (rusted). I adjusted the fan disc to around 1/4" to 3/8" after reading others suggestions. This helped out, but I believe the biggest change came from adjusting my differential to 5 with a set point of 180. After doing this I haven't seen a temp lower then 168 and she starts gassing moment's after the fan starts. Before the fan would run a couple minutes before she'd start gassing. This also cut my wood consumption down. When possible I try to put smaller loads in more frequently, probably 4 to 5 times a day. However when I have filled it and checked it hours later it seems tent less but the important part is I no longer walk up to it not gassing.

Welcome aboard Kevin.

You will have to take the airbox cover of the back of the boiler and clean up the threaded rods that hold the disc, coat them with never seize after you put them back together.
Western Maine
Pages: 1 2 [3]