Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: EGR 250 3 month report  (Read 3214 times)

Camino Cerdo

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatsource1
    • View Profile
EGR 250 3 month report
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:33:11 PM »

Just wanted to report my experience with a new EGR 250 furnace.   Had a real problem keeping the fire going when I started out. Kept a propane torch handy and it would light up quick but was a hassle. The specs call for wood cut small so that is what I had done, 4 to 6 inch, dry, fir. OK fir is not the best but I had a few dead trees to dispose of. Wood would turn to charcoal and not restart when the fans kick on.
The EGR 250 was larger than I needed for the house but have a shop in the planning stage that it will also heat. So that was causing long time periods between burns. Reset the temp range lower to decrease non burn time. The real fix was to use larger wood. After two cord of the fir I had split small for this unit I got to larger fir I had split for my old furnace and that help a great deal. Now I am in to Oak that had been split  larger for my old furnace and have not restarted for a few weeks.
Now the good part. My old Heatsouce 1 was using a cord of wood every two weeks. With three months and a few day on this furnace I still have a little left of the third cord, using less than half the wood. Some of this may be from replacing the hot water lines going to the house with Dual Pex Flex. I know I was loosing some in the underground lines I had because it would melt a light snow off in a line to the furnace.
So overall very happy with the unit. Requires more maintenance, and more picky about the size and type of wood. But I am getting old, (68), and cutting half the wood every year is sounding good.
Bob ;D

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Re: EGR 250 3 month report
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:15:29 PM »

thanks for the review!!!! Glad it is working well for you!

There is another member on a FB group whom is struggling a bit with his EGR...did u have an issue at all with creosote and water pouring out of the damper plates located in the back of the furnace???

Thanks!!!!

Camino Cerdo

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatsource1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 09:37:08 PM »

Have had no problem with water from dampener plates.
Creosote has built up on door and some in fire box, more with the fir than Oak, but I have not did anything to clean. Just letting it burn off.
 :thumbup:

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 06:44:09 AM »

Always seems to be a bit of a learning curve when switching to a gasifier. Lost the fire a few times myself the first year. Once you get get it dialed in though, they work great. Keep playing around with the stoves settings and loading techniques and you'll find what it likes.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota