Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Portage and Main BL34-44 Install  (Read 3827 times)

kootenayjames

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Ultimizer
    • View Profile
Portage and Main BL34-44 Install
« on: October 02, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »

I am in the process of upgrading from a home made OWB to a Portage and Main Ultimizer BL34-44.  My existing boiler sits in a 12 x 12 shed with a concrete slab that I installed 10 years ago.  I got tired of the leaks and wood consumption, hence the upgrade.  The problem is the new 2800 lb boiler will not fit in the shed.  My plan is to poor a slab next to the shed run my plumbing straight out the wall to the new boiler.  I was thinking of putting a roof over it right away and frame it in and insulate the building over time.  IS insulating the building overkill?  Do I need to even frame it in?  Just seems to me the less exposure to the elements the better, even if it is a self contained unit.  IS there anyone that has experience with this unit or can speak upon burning a mixed bag of wood, i.e. pine, larch, fir, cottonwood, spruce???  Our forest is diverse and I have about 90 acres of it.  Some dead mostly green. 

Thanks for any input you may have,  I am new to the ultimizer, but have been running a OWB unit for 10 years so give it to me straight!

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Portage and Main BL34-44 Install
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:42:23 AM »

I would not put any OWB inside of a building period as they are well insulated and are certainly designed to handle the elements, use the shed to store the wood. The biggest reason for putting the boiler outside is to reduce the risk of fire, why even consider putting it in a shed, you are not going to be in the elements that long with feeding and cleaning and you will already be dressed to handle it.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

jefito

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage and main
  • OWF Model: bl 34/44
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »

I just put into service my BL 34/44, I'm new to the owb market. I am very impressed with my BL, where I live most of the forest is pine and spruce, So mainly all I burn is pine and spruce, it is good doesn't last as long as a hard wood. Hardly any coals left. The cotton wood that I used was about  3-4 years dry, lasts longer than pine, good coals.  The smoke smells really horrible buts if its available and free I guess its a good deal, except for the smell.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »

Thanks so much for the trust you have in us Felix, let us know if you need anything, especially advice!

jefito

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage and main
  • OWF Model: bl 34/44
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:42:19 PM »

Thanks I appreciate the offer, I'm brand new to this only 2 weeks. no problems yet. Wish I would of found this site 3 months ago as I was pulling my hair out. Thanks I'm sure I will be calling on you.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:48:17 AM »

Thats why I'm here, PM sent with contact info.