Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: fire dosen't burn hot enough with door closed  (Read 15577 times)

ssr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
fire dosen't burn hot enough with door closed
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:59:27 PM »

I GOT A OWB IVE BUILT MY SELF.THE PROBLEM IM HAVING IS THAT WHEN I CLOSE THE DOOR THE FIRE GOES DOWN TO LOW TO ROAR LIKE I NEED IT.I GOT A DAYTON BLOWER ON THE DOOR I THINK IT IS 130 CFM . THE CHIMENY IS 7 INCH OD.ITS LIKE IT CANT DRAW.BUT WITH THE FAN ON HIGH IT WILL BLOW OUT BIG EMBERS OUT THE TOP OF THE STACK.BUT THE FIRE WONT RAGE UNTIL I CRACK THE DOOR.ITS ALMOST LIKE IT WANTS MORE AIR. ANY IDEAS

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: fire dosen't burn hot enough with door closed
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »

where are you blowing the air..perhaps you need to difuse the air into a wider stram and aim it into your coal bed?

how big is your firebox? how is your chimney inserted into the fire box and where is it positioned compared to the door?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ssr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:20:28 PM »

THE AIR COMES IN UNDER THE GRATES ON THE COALS.I TRIED TO REDIRECT IT TO BLOW ON THE WOOD THAT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME.THE CHIMENY IS LOCATED TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE FIRE BOX ON TOP ABOUT 10 INCHES FROM END. IT COMES DOWN INSIDE THE FIRE BOX ABOUT 14 INCHES.I PUT A PLATE UNDER THE CHIMNEY TO TRY AND KEEP THE EMBERS FROM BLOWING OUT THE TOP.IT HELPED A LITTLE. I RAISED THE CHIMNEY 6 MORE FT. THAT DIDNT SEEM TO HELP MUCH.I THOUGHT IF YOU HAD A FAN ON IT THE CHIMNEY WOULD NOT NEED TO BE THAT LONG,ITS 10FT OUT OF THE ROOF.THE FIRE BOX IS 30''ROUND AND 40'' LONG

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »

your wood dry and perhaps try smaller pieces so there is more edges to burn. i think my blower is 150 CFM but 130 should get things going. plus, my stove roars more when the door is open as well but a lot of that is going up the stack when the soor is open.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ssr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:28:20 PM »

IT JUST SEAMS IT TAKES A LONG TIME FOR THE  WATER TO HEAT UP.AND THE FAN RUNS  LONG TIMES AND REALLY USES THE WOOD.THE EMBERS OUT THE CHIMENY WORRY ME IM RIGHT BY A OPEN FIELD. THANKS FOR THE INFO

mcarter

• OWF Brand: HeatMasterSS
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »

Is your fan taking fresh air into the firebox? 
HeatMasterSS MF5000E by Yoder Heating
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
8lb Wood Splitter with 'High Performance' Fiberglass Handle
5 acres

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »

you built your stove yourself you say. and the water seems to take a long time to heat up? i would say after you have lit your stove for the first time and your water has reached its set point and the fan shuts off, then when it cools to your low setting and the fan comes on i would make a guess that most folks stoves would have the fan run 10 to 15 minutes to reheat the water...unless you have very badly insulated  underground pipes that are causing severe heat loss. perhaps you could elaberate on just how your system is constucted and piped to the home and what all you are heating?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ssr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 08:45:37 PM »

THE FAN IS TAKING IN FRESH OUTSIDE AIR.I'M JUST TALKING ABOUT THE BOILER ITS SELF WITHOUT TURNING THE PUMPS ON.IM HEATING A CONCRETE FLOOR 40X60 SHOP FLOOR.IT JUST SEEMS THAT THE BOILER WILL GO THROUGH ALOT OF WOOD TO GET IT UP TO TEMP JUST SITTING THERE.I NEED TO FIND OUT A WAY TO GET THE FIRE TO RIP WITH THE DOOR CLOSED.IVE TRIED TO REDIRECT THE FAN AIR IN DIFFRENT DIRECTIONS ALL AROUND  THE BOILER BUT IT SEEMS TO WORK THE BEST BLOWING FROM UNDERNEATH THE WOOD. MAYBE I SHOULD GET SOME HEDGE OR MIX WITH COAL?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:00:51 PM »

ssr when i fire my stove for the first time in teh fall it may take 30 to 40 minues to get to the high setting but after that it takes 10 or 15 minutes to go from low to high

no matter what you have heard you cant (shouldn't) burn wet wood (freshly cut trees)  and you say you are heating a 40 by 60 shop floor, how many loops in your floor (i mean how many seperate lenghts of pipe) each loop should be no longer than say..300 feet and is your shop floor insulated under the concrete

also you might try (temporarily)  blocking your chimney off some, if you say the embers are being forced up the chimney than perhaps yoru draw is so strong it is sucking the best part of your fire up the chimney and out and when you open the door you are actually allowing the fire to now draw air and feed the  areas of the fire that the chimney cant oull from as it is sucking in a direct line from your blower? (jsut something to try)

i think you may have enough air being supplied from your blower but the draw on the chimney is so great it is sucking too much heat away. perhaps set a piece of plate over part of your chimney as a test?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ssr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

THANKS .THE LOOPS IN THE FLOOR ARE 250 FT LONG IVE OR TAKE 10 FOOT ON EACH.THER IS INSULATION UDER THEM. AND ON THE PIPES NOW.

mcarter

• OWF Brand: HeatMasterSS
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »

Is it possible that you could be forcing too much air into the firebox?  The embers blowing out the chimney makes me curious about that.
HeatMasterSS MF5000E by Yoder Heating
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
8lb Wood Splitter with 'High Performance' Fiberglass Handle
5 acres

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »

How big is the opening between the fan and firebox and how long?

Do you have any pictures of how it is setup?

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:30:12 PM »

Posted by: mcarter
« on: Today at 09:23:01 PM » Insert Quote
Is it possible that you could be forcing too much air into the firebox?  The embers blowing out the chimney makes me curious about that.

I wondered the same thing
Muskoka, Ont

ssr

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 10:09:17 PM »

i thought that i was forcing to much air in it also .but if i turn the fan down the fire wont burn  very good at all.the  opening in the door where the fan comes out is 3''x5'' rectangular.it is a squiral fan from dayton.i put a reostat on the fan so i could turn it up and down.i can urn it down to calm the embers down but the fire wont burn good at all.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 10:12:44 PM »

So you have a 3x5" channel into the ash drawer? Is it straight? Is there any chance the air is going to the chimney and passing the fire?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5