Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: spark arrestor / rain cap  (Read 11502 times)

sstan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
spark arrestor / rain cap
« on: April 07, 2009, 10:47:53 AM »

I posted under the NC topic but will take any imput.  Who has a spark arrestor/ rain cap on thier forced air stove?  Mine blows sparks like crazy and if I wnat to use it this summer I need something .. any ideas?

steve
Steve from Windsor NY
using an NCB- 175

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: spark arrestor / rain cap
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »

I know there is some available ,but i don't have a link handy.I would think you could get a cap at a lumber yard to fit the pipe size of your stove without too much trouble.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

John D

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:40:11 PM »

Mine too,I had 2 fires already,even with the rain cap,homemade arrstor it still sparks like crazy. I think the only solution is going to be to extend the chimney (which I do not want to do),or make up a draft door,and run the shaver on natural draft only.To be honest ive been thinking about doing that anyway,the fan just seems to push the heat right out the chimney,and burn the wood faster.

With my Shaver,my idea is to make a new ash door,one with a draft flap door in it,and install a grainger solenoid on it,and a cover to protect it.I think the draft door needs to be a lot larger than the feed pipe that the fan blows thru,so thats why i am going to build a new door.This should stop the sparks,and improve efficiency due to a slower ,steadier burn,and the oxygen feeding the front of the firebox first,so the fire burns front to back,not back to front like a shaver does with the fan coming in from the rear.

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »

My Hardy H5 originally had a flat plate right under the chimney and it never sparked to ammount to anything.  Over time the plate (maybe 18 or 20 gauge stainless) warped and would occasionally fall into the furnace.  This winter I noticed it was gone and could find no trace of it in the furnace.  It was maybe 8" by a foot with the 2 8" ends bent up 90* about an inch in from the ends.  Now I get more sparks.  The thing just sat on 2 rods that are there for that purpose right under the chimney hole.  I'm going to replace that plate this summer but I've been thinking about a rain cap myself.  I have heard, however, that the relatively small holes in the arrestors for the smoke to pass through will creosote up and need cleaned every once in a while.  To me that doesn't seem like a real big deal.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 11:10:58 AM »

I would think any stainless cap with spark arrestor would work. Probably work better with at least a 2 or 3 foot piece of pipe added to chimney. You might check your local HVAC supply for cap.

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »

Using spark arrestor/rain cap from central boiler. Natural draft, no fan. Only notice sparks when filling furnace. Only problem was in march during long burn cycles, the screen in the cap got alot of build-up. This shut off exhaust exiting the furnace. Had to take the top section and cap off and clean.. No other problems besides the cap, I think,  causing smoke to hover lower the the ground?? 
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09