Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Heatmaster wf4000 with pump issues  (Read 6779 times)

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Heatmaster wf4000 with pump issues
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 04:19:18 AM »

Agree with Honda, I much prefer the B&G, Grundfos.
Sounds oversized to me, or air trapped somewhere choking flow. Wood consumption on a different house, different winter is a bit of a guess.
With the flat plate first in line you could get by with a 15-58 I'd guess. Low temp return water will not hurt that stove. The return mixes with the largest volume of water above the firebox.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

johnmn

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 140
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 07:23:45 PM »

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
Where are you located? Seeing as there is MN in your name and you've got a crappy dealer from a 4000 I'm guessing it's the guy in Onamia? How big is the house and have you measured the round trip temp drop of the underground lines with no heat call? I suspect groundwater infiltration may be part of the high wood consumption issue seeing as you've got 5 wrap. Also, the domestic water exchanger should be before the forced air exchanger as DHW should be priority but that won't have any bearing on the pump issue. The 011 is a pretty big pump for only 50ft of 1" but that shouldn't be causing issues either if it's not cavitating which it shouldn't be with only that much head. I'd be interested to see a picture of how the pump is mounted. If you're not too far away I could check it out too, I carry Grundfos 15-58 and 26-99 on the truck at a better price you can get them from the store

Yea I bought it from him, he did call me back and talked a bit.
I got the 011 going and have a new one sitting here but don't really want it. I did just buy a 15-58 I'm gonna try this winter.
Can I ask why it matters if the DHW plate is first?
I feel like I something was going on this winter and hope the pump was just too big. I wouldn't mind talking to someone about my system.

johnmn

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 07:30:02 PM »

I am also going to dig up my lines and redo them. I had a 2 ft wide path of melted snow all winter! And ended burning roughly 20 cord or wood! Any suggestions on new lines? I'd like to do this just once.
I had an aqua-therm at my old house for 9 years and only replaced a temp/pressure gauge. So my my new stove experience is piss poor.

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »

Putting the flat plate first in the loop prevents fluctuating domestic water temps when the heat kicks on and off. You won't notice air temps going up and down but you will with the water.
I don't like that you are having a bad experience. I'd like to see some pictures of the piping.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:39:32 PM by E Yoder »

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 06:23:47 PM »

Eldon hit the nail on the head with the DHW explanation above. As for the lines, they are garbage and resulted in far more wood burned than was necessary. I would recommend either Rehau Insulpex or Central Boiler Thermopex in 1" to replace them with, any CB dealer will carry the Thermopex or I can get Rehau. As for the pump, it was not "too big". There was another issue causing the trouble

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 08:07:17 PM »

As for the pump, it was not "too big". There was another issue causing the trouble

Agreed, just burn more energy if its too large. Now if it was like obscenely too large I suppose the added load on it fighting small line could cause it to run hotter.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

johnmn

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 09:36:26 AM »

Just an update, I installed a 15-58 pump and new thermo pex lines last fall. I never had 1 pump issue and no more sounds of cavitation. I ran the pump on high all winter, let's hope it'll last year's. As for the wood consumption of say I burned 12 -14 cord. Ill have seasoned wood for this winter so I'm curious to see what my consumption will be. Thanks all!

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 03:40:57 PM »

Glad it's working better for you!
one lesson here, If you don't need a monster pump don't use it. :)
Pages: 1 [2]