Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tips and pointers i have learned / join in we can learn something long winded..  (Read 2818 times)

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile

:bag: Here is what I have learned in the pass two months of running my pressurized outdoor wood boiler along with some tips u mite/could use ! 1. load it for the weather , filling it full and letting the AQ-stat do the work will result in a boil over  2. I load my stove with a log on each side and coals in the middle ,  and any logs I add I stack on either the of the 2 original logs = self feeding ,if I’m a bit lite on hot coals I may add a small stick or two "between the logs" or coal (that works great btw ) to keep up the fire!  3. I added a on –off- on switch ,  hooked to a AQ-stat on the first 30" of my iron 1.25 boiler supply pipe –to kill the 2 fire air supply fans, when the boiler falls below 130 degs = no more letting the fans blow air on a "non extant" fire/fuel /cause I failed to add enough wood or I was not there to fill ( its a lot easier to get back up to temp from a 130 then say 80 degs or even worst, if we ever have any cold weather this year ! lol I’ll get to test it out even more , no fuel in stove and minus 30 air …it would not be fun! ! 4 . bubble wrap is worth less  J …here I’ll copy and paste my own post …and what u can do to improve your project >
Quote from: AirForcePOL on December 19, 2014, 01:35:26 PM
I put some of the foil bubble wrap insulation around my plate exchanger.....
bubble wrap is a waste of time an $$  >  :Dat a   1.1 r value  (IF it is NOT touching said object) it has to be -  1.2 to 2" away from what ever u wrap to get the reflective R-value>   best to get some foam and screw and  build a box around it and fill with spray foam the "yellow, door and window" is best- as in denser / and many more small air bubbles captured  in it.....don't use any water based crap!!  do not apply on hot/while hot pipes/whatever, it will not "set", apply cold and it will turn to dust ...have a spray bottle of warm water /set on very fine mist  and spray item before u apply the single component cans of foam ,and mist it when done ! = more volume = harder texture= 50+ more useable foam per can !!....... O0 I have spoken !  lol.......   5. U guys with forced air for the fire I need/help me come up with a system to "cut the fan/s off, once the fire is going, BUT hold the flapper open and let the fire burn naturally –instead off blowing it up the c-pipe ! (I’m working on it!) right now I’m thinking a R.I.B time delay , the AQstat would cut power BUT the flapper would hold off on falling back down for 2 minutes ( and guy mite have to "lower his AQstat temp " to keep from getting to hot! Look at this like you get to keep the heat and not pay .26 cents a KW to run the fans.. like me .  6. I made my own creosote destroyer by using all the MMDS sheets I could come up.... what  seems.... the main ingredient is ag lime the kind u farmers use …and NOT the type the masons use …add 1/3 baking soda to 2 parts ag lime and mix I got my lime at a feed store and the baking soda at sams club …works great !!! I will ad more as I think of them , please feel free to add to the list …..well if you done it-and it worked anyway !
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:04:31 PM by atvalaska »

atvalaska

• 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile

All the money in the world couldn't give the experience and info you get fro the great people on this site it's an honor for my self to be part of the learning experience .. Sometimes in life you think you know it all until you get in sticky spot and can't wiggle out of it..
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)

atvalaska

• 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile

oh yea!!!   #7 don't put a 500 watt flood light on your boiler shed ...the 240deg "motion detector" will have the dammm thing going on and off all the time as the wind/smoke/heat drafts move in front of it  !!!

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com

ATV, I just clicked on the link at the bottom of your last post, That is an AWESOME explanation, PLEASE everybody, watch the video!!!!!!!!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

caper

• OWF Brand: heatmaster 5000
    • View Profile

one tip ive learned is always or at least try to have your wood ready for the snow, because it will come, those nice fall days wont be around forever,so enjoy them right until the end by getting wood,stacking or cutting but do something....nothing worse then a big snow storm and you have to go get a truck load of wood.....my two cents
husky 555
Toyota 4x4
grizzly 700
Harley Street Glide
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Canada

atvalaska

• 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile

ATV, I just clicked on the link at the bottom of your last post, That is an AWESOME explanation, PLEASE everybody, watch the video!!!!!!!!
  the truth hurts .... lol  >:D  it should be shown in school........
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:37:29 AM by atvalaska »

atvalaska

• 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile

buy ya one of these > http://www.lowes.com/pd_537840-302-18112100_4294612728__?productId=50142280&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=    then drill a hole near the head and run a bolt thur it so the hoe don't spin in the handle .....get your grinder out and sharpen them 2 points ....there u go!!!! u can rake the fire  with 3 sides .....and "poke/push/pull" the burning  logs where they are needed!  :thumbup:

Shrek1112

• OWF Brand: Hawken Energy
  • OWF Model: HE-2100
    • View Profile

:post:  I like that idea.  Been looking for a rake of some sort.
Mid- Michigan (Spartan Country)
Stihl MS-250
Stihl MS-391
Huskee 35 Ton
Chevy 1500 Crew
13 & 15 year old work force