Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: filter for debris?  (Read 3200 times)

sw18x

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Mahoning
    • View Profile
filter for debris?
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »

My OWB got a makeover this summer (major rust out, hole the size of your fist on the top of the water jacket). I'm in the middle of getting it up and running again and noticing a lot of left over rust particles in the water. I'm going to try to flush out what I can, but I got thinking, wouldn't it be a good idea to have some kind of filtering system on these things? Sooner or later, every boiler is going to see some level of internal rusting, and I imagine those little bits of rust play havoc on the pumps. I've got two new Tacos on this thing and don't want to waste them if I can't get all the debris out. There's a braided steel line connected to the circulator pump, I'd love to rig up a filter there to catch the worst of it. The only question is, what kind of filter could I use? I'm tempted to try an oil or hydraulic filter. I figure water is a lot thinner than oil so flow shouldn't be a problem, run it a few days then pull the filter apart and check how bad the paper is. What do you think?

Firechaser

• View Profile
Re: filter for debris?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:28:43 AM »

I have been considering a Y strainer for mine. They use a screen filter you can pull and wash off.
Tony
ML30
Husky 455

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »

my filter is a canister type and i just put a by pass around it with a valve on each side of the filter and one in the by pass. mine used to take cord filters but have since moved to some sort of fibre. one filter per year seems to do just fine
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »

my filter is a canister type and i just put a by pass around it with a valve on each side of the filter and one in the by pass. mine used to take cord filters but have since moved to some sort of fibre. one filter per year seems to do just fine

The filter that came with my p&m is a canister and cord type as well.
North Central Ohio

ThatGUY

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: eClassic 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:48:09 AM »

If you are running a Heat exchanger, it is VERY beneficial (possibly manditory) to run a Y-strainer - less you run the risk of plugging it up.  You could also run some rust inhibitor in the OWF water, may need to check on an annual basis to keep in check.

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:35:52 AM »

I have a y strainer that I clean out periodically. Don't forget valves on both sides, if you put in a filter or strainer, or both.

sumptersmoker

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:01 PM »

Ill take some pictures of the filter I used on my OWB. I bought my unit used. I wanted to make sure the thing didn't have a ton of scale in it so I purchased some sluge removal stuff from CB along with their chemicals and ran it for 3 days just out and back in the return... It worked out good. I used a bore scope to check out the walls before I filled it back up and started using it..

Oh it was a water filter for a drinking fountain with 3/4 inlet and outlets