Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: G200 door leaking  (Read 10025 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
G200 door leaking
« on: November 24, 2016, 10:00:35 PM »

Well I have had my new G200 up and running now for a couple of weeks. Everything is going pretty well except I can't get my loading door to seal well enough to prevent tarry condensate from dripping down the front onto to damper actuator cover and run down over the lower clean out door. I have adjusted it 4 times and no luck yet. There seems to be an indented spot on the lower door gasket where most of the dripping is coming from, almost like the gasket isn't as thick under the silicone.

I keep cleaning up the mess but unfortunately the lower door seems to be permanently stained now. The door seems to be a little to high as the sealing edge is right at the bottom of the gasket at the bottom of the door. I may try making a spacer between the hinges to lower the door about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch which would center the sealing edges in the gasket better.

I have had some issues with the unit going out due to warm weather and wood bridging over the center slot. I am hoping when the ash bed gets built up better this will stop.

Any suggestions on getting the loading door to seal other than what I mentioned?
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: G200 door leaking
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 01:50:44 AM »

I know exactly what you are talking about schoppy, I just went through it myself with my 400, the hinges are difficult to adjust with the weight of the door on it! Because I'm such a life hack, here is my solution.
Start by wrapping a long ratchet strap through the door handle and completely around the boiler (use cardboard or rags to keep from scratching the paint with the metal portions of the stap) hook the ends of the strap together and loosely tighten the strap, place a small car scissor jack between the door and strap
( again use a softener) tighten the screw jack a bit so it will put pressure on the door inwards, now loosen the 4- 9/16 nuts that adjust the hinge side of the door, you should see the hinge adjustments move, unlatch the latch side and center the door on the jamb now take a few more turns on the screw jack, this will force the door onto the jamb, adjust your hinge and tighten them, dismantle the hack and move over to the latch side of the door. The latch side is a 3/4 inch acorn nut on each,loosen them and tap the bolts inward about 1/8 inch at a time, re tighten and try the latches, they should be tight enough to show some resistance without being hard to operate. With the doors all closed and the bypass open, fan operating you should not be able to hear any leakage around the door gasket. You will still have some residual liquid in the gasket that will drip out when the door is operated but it will subside and dry up after using the door a few times. The guys at the office can get you some spray bombs of the original color or if I have a chance perhaps I can find the paint color codes that I got from NAPA to paint  the bus, it is an almost perfect match, best of luck and let us know how you make out!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »

Gents, if you have a dollar general where you live, go there and buy some cleaner called LAs totally awesome cleaner.  It's $1 and is the best product I have found to clean creosote off of the furnace.  It works wonders on the painted surfaces of a G series. I'm sure you can find it online also.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »

I have the door leak problem this year, need to get it tightened up. Had quite the drips of creosote down the side under the door. I picked up some Purple Power. As soon as the purple power hit the creosote it totally dissolved. You would never know it had any creosote on it now. I tried using engine degreaser first, that didnt touch it at all.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »

I have another way to tighten the hinge side of the door, if I get a chance I’ll snap a few pictures.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 02:54:02 PM »

I had a few mins today. What I did was use a mechanical pencil to draw a fine line on the door side of the hinge mounts so I knew where I started. Then I left the door latched and loosened the hinge side bolts. Then I leaned on the door as hard as I could, made sure the pencil line was even and the door side hinge mounts were further in then originally. I then retightened the bolts. I then opened the door and loosened the acorn nuts on the latch side roller bearings. I gently tapped them in slightly towards the back of the stove then retightened. I will give it a day and see if it fixed it. I did have a couple small leaks of creosote closer to the hinge side after, I am waiting to see if they were just residual from squeezing the gasket like Richard said. If it didn't fix it I'll try Richards method.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 11:35:32 PM »

Thanks Slim and that would be a great way to do it but as you can see from the attached picture of my installation (if it goes through), I can't do it that way. I did not realize the roller bearing at the latch end was adjustable. A little more info in the manual on door adjustment procedure would have been nice. I had my son-in-law help me today and it seems good now but we will give it a couple of days and see. I did make an 1/8 inch shim to go between the hinges as my door was not centered in the gasket and needed to be lowered a little.

Yes, the purple power works great but beware it takes off the decal coloring and paint if left on too long or used too often in the same place. Also the grey door color stains and will not come out with anything I know of.

Door is centered now and fitting good and snug so hopefully the leaks will stop on the front. I did have a couple creosote streaks down the back also which may be attributed to leaks on the front door. I snugged up all the locking bolts and cleaned up the streaks so hopefully that takes care of it. Seems like the bottom of the venter access panel should have more than one locking tab. I'm sure this warm weather doesn't help either. I did make a rain cap, sort of like a tin man cap and have it plenty high so as not to restrict venting since we have been getting so much rain with another inch expected latter this week.

Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 03:21:01 AM »

Schoppy, Please tell me that the siding is metal and that the sills on the inside are fire protected, not that the stove itself will set the wood ablaze but the ashes and coal during cleaning can. Please use caution folks and maintain common sense guidelines for clearances for combustibles!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »

Not my first rodeo Slim. Only thing flammable in the entire shed, inside or out, is the firewood. Don't want to have mother load it in inclement weather. Still dripping some out the front but may have been in the gasket like you said earlier.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »

Has anyone experienced leaking from the lower door handle bolt on the loading door of their G200? Even with the change in the cycle timing the unit has gone out a couple more times. Even though the gasket is evenly spaced now I am getting dripping off the lower door handle bolt. The loading door locks pretty firm and I wouldn't want to adjust it any tighter. It almost looks like the gasket isn't as thick by the lower bolt as the rest of the areas. Any ideas?
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 02:14:44 AM »

Sounds like you need to lay some more evenly spread silicone on the area that you think is thin on gasket. As far as the boiler going out and bridging tell us about your wood quality, size of splits and stacking technique when filling the boiler.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 03:44:55 AM »

For fire going out.

Have at least one teenage daughter who plays sports, your washing machine will run constantly, dishwasher runs once a day, and up too three showers per day.

Problem solved!
Western Maine

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 11:17:03 PM »

I think you are right hondaracer on the gasket but I don't want to shut it down for a full day at least to allow the silicone to fully cure.

All of my wood is red oak at 15 to 20% moisture. I have everything from 2" diameter to 8" diameter and split chunks are all pretty good size. I try to put down some smaller pieces over the coals before putting in the bigger pieces in and then some smaller pieces on top. Little cooler and windy today and had a good bed of coals when I checked it 12 hours after loading about a 1/3 load this morning. We are supposed to get some good cold weather next week
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 11:29:50 PM »

Hit post too soon. I am curious to see if the cold weather eliminates the dripping from the door. Otherwise the G200 is running a lot cleaner than my G400 did as I am sure Slimjim was right on the G400 being way over sized.

Coolidge you hit the nail on the head with teenage daughters. They don't even have to be in sports to take hour long showers which turn the bath room into a tropical rain forest. She loves the endless HOT water too.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »

To adjust the door, loosen the two nuts on one hinge, take a large open end wrench or something similar and stick the top jaw in and push towards the door till it is in the position you want. You will probably be able to easily see where it was once it moves.
Retighten the nuts and then do the same with the other hinge.
Pages: [1] 2 3