Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: G-200 smoking more than usual  (Read 6310 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
Re: G-200 smoking more than usual
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 11:03:57 PM »

Hi Slim, haven't thought about loading the slab wood that way before. Most of my slab wood is too long to go in sideways or perpendicular to the gasser slot if I understand the way you want me to try it. I will try it both ways, perpendicular and parallel to the gasser slot and vertical or on edge to see how it works. It has been pretty mild here so I have only been loading it with approximately half loads and still getting 12 hour burns times easily. I'll try to get some pictures also, probably will need my daughters help to get them posted though.

Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 03:48:14 AM »

Understand, I'm saying stack them by leaning them against the back wall standing up, keep them as tight as you can and fill it. It's just an experiment with slabwood, I'd try it myself but the 400 is a long way back and I don't have any hardwood slabs.
One of our illustrious professors here in Maine designed a boiler eons ago that loaded from the top with vertical wood to stop bridging so I'm just curious if it would work well with slabs?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 04:10:12 AM »

You should build a jet stream Slim, there are still a few of those boilers in use still.
Western Maine

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 04:30:42 AM »

Those jet streams are cool.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 12:22:28 AM »

Well Slim now that I understood what you were asking I tried it. Stacking it as vertical as I could, the majority of the charred wood ends up at the back wall as it burns. It still bridged in the middle but didn't go out as I have adjusted the run times during non calls for heat. I have included a  few pictures if they come through ok but it may be hard to see the hollowed out center above the gasser slot.

I think the biggest issue with slab wood is so much surface area of the wood gasses too quickly. Shortly after loading it this morning it was roaring but all the smoke wasn't being burned completely like it normally does. I got a good deal on the slab wood but I will be glad when it's gone.   
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 01:53:25 AM »

You hit the nail on the head with the slabs gassing off to quickly because of the surface area, I refer to it as flashing off whenever I'm talking to a potential customer at the shows, they seem to get it right away then, Thanks for trying the experiment, I had a feeling they wouldn't fall in well enough, now we know!
It didn't look like you had a very deep coal bed in there or was I just not seeing it? I try to keep at least 6 inches or so in my 400 and then I put my largest piece of wood in the center right over the nozzle and smaller stuff to the sides.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 09:33:11 AM »

I don't know if I have ever had a 6" bed of coals. This morning I probably had about 3" with another  couple inches of ash under the coals. Our temps have only been in the upper 20's to mid 30"s for highs and teens to lower 20's for lows. Half a load is giving me 12 plus hours of burn time. Seem like I would have to load it way up to get a 6" coal bed in the morning or end of day.

Can't get the upper door seal to stop leaking creosote and it has gotten worse with the slab wood. Looking like I will need to change the gasket after season, just never has sealed good on the door bottom. Almost looks like the gasket isn't fully there as it is not as thick on the bottom as the rest of the door. 

Happy New Year but don't celebrate too hard.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 10:27:30 AM »

I try to keep the coal bed just below the side panels after it is raked level. I have heard that keeping it higher can cause moisture buildup behind them.
I only burned one bundle of slabs in mine so far and seemed to work ok.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »

Using the slab wood causes the inside of my primary combustion area to be a lot more moist than using regular firewood. Tonight I looked real close at the bottom of my loading door since it had been dripping more than ever. I could definitely see how the moisture was running down the bottom of the inside of the door and into the top of the seal then coming out the bottom of the seal but not through the contact area of the door frame. It is going around the seal on the inside of the seal.

Hey RSI, what unit are you burning your slab wood in? Is your unit at the shop or your home? Did you get your slab wood from the place I told you about? I'd be interested to see how yours is running on slab wood. Are you using straight slab wood or mixing it with other firewood?

Questions-questions-questions! Happy New Year.     
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »

I am running mine at home. I just had one bundle that I burned so far. The rest I have left is back behind in the shed so I can't get to it. It is from that place and was all Ash wood. I got it last winter so it was pretty dry.
I used it straight until I used it up. I think it was a couple weeks.

Are you going to be home at all during the daytime this week? If you want, I could come up and take a look at your door leak. I think I can get you a loaner door to use if you want to get the gasket replaced.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 08:48:41 PM »

I am off tomorrow, Monday, but after that back to work. I haven't contacted Ryan yet, sort of resigned myself to replacing it after the season, so I don't have the replacement gasket or sealant. I have cleaned up the creosote streaks on the air actuator cover so many times with Purple Power  the decal on the cover is bleaching out. But, knock on wood, the door leak is the only issue I have had with my G200. SlimJim hit the nail on the head when he said the is the right size for my loads.

Slept in late this morning cause we went to Church last night. It was 15+ hours from loading last night, and only about a half load last night, still had decent coals left. Decided to clean out the bottom and then loaded it with half a load of slab wood. Water temp was below 140 but took off and gassed right away. This time the stack emissions were as clean as can be. Maybe burning the slab wood I need to keep the bottom cleaner to gas completely?       
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

AirForcePOL

• OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 11:24:31 AM »

If it doesn't stop smoking, you might want to check the air passages on the refractory on the bottom of the firebox.  Sometimes these can clog and won't allow enough air into the lower chamber.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter
Pages: 1 [2]