Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Optimizer 250 First Firing!  (Read 4892 times)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Optimizer 250 First Firing!
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »

Took a trip to my friends place to watch the first firing of his 250. What an awesome machine! Took about 45-50 minutes to start gasifing. It took 2.5 hours to go from 59* up to 175. That flame is way more impressive in person than it is on u-tube. His house should be plenty hot enough by now for he and his wife to be running in their underwear. Hope to have my Empyre 100 off the slab and the 250 in it's place sometime this weekend. My 9 year old thinks he can help me post some pictures of it gasifying when we get it up and running, as I am completely helpless when it comes to computers.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizer 250 First Firing!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »

Hmm...  Why'd it take so long to start gasifying??  I'm not sure what's going on there, but it seems it took a long time to get hot as well, usually as I'm wrapping up an install I build a fire in my stove and while I'm putting tools away and such, roughly 1 hour, a stove is generally at 155-160.  As far as gasifiers everyone I've seen start gasifying within minutes.  10-15

I like portage and main though, they seem to be great stoves and the craftsmanship looks great
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

martyinmi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »

Hmm...  Why'd it take so long to start gasifying??  I'm not sure what's going on there, but it seems it took a long time to get hot as well, usually as I'm wrapping up an install I build a fire in my stove and while I'm putting tools away and such, roughly 1 hour, a stove is generally at 155-160.  As far as gasifiers everyone I've seen start gasifying within minutes.  10-15

I like portage and main though, they seem to be great stoves and the craftsmanship looks great
You'd have to see first hand how a P&M is put together. The refractory bed is around 5" thick and covers the whole floor of the primary burn chamber, plus there is refractory brick going up the sides 9 inches. There is over 800 lbs. of refractory in the 250. You can't really compare the P&M 250 to the NC220 as the P&M doesn't rely on any other means to burn smoke other than the nozzle going to the secondary burn chamber. The nozzle on the 250 looks to be only about half the size of the 220. There are no catalytic combusters (converters) like the 220. The great thing about the design of the P&M is that once the refractory gets hot, it remains hot. Both of my friends have theirs up and running and they both said that they only cycle about every 2-3 hours, and when they do cycle, gasification is instant. I just fired mine up at 9:00 tonight, so by tomorrow AM I'll know whether they are "blowing smoke" or not(pun intended). I shot the secondary burn chamber with my thermometer and it pegged it out (1047*-I'm sure it was much hotter than that), and the exhaust temp was 157*. I believe I understand NC's method for burning smoke, but for me, those little catalytic wafers just look like they would plug up too often unless your wood was just right all of the time. The one that I saw running was only a few months old and he was cleaning his about every three weeks, and it didn't look that easy, and he said you can't just bump them out, you have to use compressed air, as they become fragile as they age(kinda like you and I!).
   I had narrowed my choices down to 4 manufacturers, and NC was one of them. The catalytic part of their(your) OWB just scared me a bit. I used to own a Consolidated Dutchwest Federal Airtight stove, and it had one 6"" combuster, and after about 3-4 months of burning, I had to replace it at 80 bucks a crack. That was a lot of money in the early 80's, and from what I've gathered, the catalytic components are now made in China and their quality leaves a lot to be desired.
   Looks like It'll take about 20-40 lbs of wood to heat my friends DHW per day. That's about the same amount I was using with my Empyre. P&M does not, however, recommend using them in the summer, so all three of us will be shutting them down in a day or so.
   Have a good evening.   
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »

Haha hold on a sec.  I didn't mean that nc was better by no means!!  I actually refuse to sell any of there gasifiers but did know they fire quickly.

I was looking for the exact information you gave me and it makes sense, I've tossed the idea of selling portage and main around several times and can't make the logistics of freight and stuff add up for me.  I love there stoves, the double pass on the standard models is like heatmasterss. 

The catalytic disc on the 220 and 500 are one thing I don't like, that's for sure. 

In general, owb as gasifiers make me nervous, most warranties on gassifers are barely a warranty compared to the standard boiler, that just makes me
worrry as a dealer, how's the warranty on your optimizer?
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

martyinmi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:20:13 AM »

Portage and Main's warranty on the gassers is the same as the conventional ones.

If I were you, I wouldn't be scared to sell NC's gassers at all. From what I've read, in a worst case scenario, you'd just run without the discs in the event they quit functioning, and just wait till the new ones show up.

There should be a good market for NC's gassers, as they are much cheaper than a lot of the other ones.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Bill G

• OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:03:48 PM »

Marty,
      The levee system held and flood scare over!  So, my plumbing project for the Opt 250 resumes in the AM.  Lost 3 days of working on that project, but can't wait to have it on line and ready for winter.
      My home would never flood, as we are on the mountain, (west side of Wyoming Valley, PA.), but had 24 people residing with us from the mandatory evacuation.
      Glad to hear all good things about P&M.  Researched quite hard before purchase and hope we made a good choice!!
      Best of luck with yours!!
Bill G.
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »

Glad to here the good report on P&M gassifier! :thumbup:  I think those are some great stoves.I have never seen one in person,as ther are no dealers around here.
I have to agree on the convertor issue with NC.My friend has  GT500 and has had issues with them.They do get brittle and even using compressed air manages to eventually break them.
I know he had issue with not always having perfectly dried wood.
I talked to Dave one time and yeah his pucks come over on the boat.They supposedly have a new Stainless Steel convetor for thier stoves.I look forward to seeing my buddys replacements when they show up..
Hey you need to get some good pics and video of this baby running :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »

Glad to here the good report on P&M gassifier! :thumbup:  I think those are some great stoves.I have never seen one in person,as ther are no dealers around here.
I have to agree on the convertor issue with NC.My friend has  GT500 and has had issues with them.They do get brittle and even using compressed air manages to eventually break them.
I know he had issue with not always having perfectly dried wood.
I talked to Dave one time and yeah his pucks come over on the boat.They supposedly have a new Stainless Steel convetor for thier stoves.I look forward to seeing my buddys replacements when they show up..
Hey you need to get some good pics and video of this baby running :thumbup:
Yeah, wet wood really is hard on the converters. I really think NC made a mistake by not making them an option. The stoves work fine without them and still have no visible smoke out the chimney.
I just put my GT220 in this spring and plan on taking them out if my wood is much over 20% moisture.

martyinmi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »

Which one of my moderators knows how to communicate with an old dummy like me and teach me how to post videos or pictures? My brother is going to be MY test dummy for my homemade gasser in 6 weeks or so, and if it works like we think it will, I'd sure to show some of you other guys how I did it. If it doesn't work, well, please forget this post! 
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter