Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: DHW  (Read 4844 times)

coolidge

• View Profile
DHW
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »

Are any of you guys running your 250,s for DHW this summer? I am using mine right now, not shure it will be a good idea all summer, but will find out. Shure is nice to get the propane bill and it is just 8 gallons.
Western Maine

HandyMark

• View Profile
Re: DHW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »

8 Gallons? I bet your propane guy was pissed. I bet they call ahead before driving out next time.

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:09:19 PM »

Hi coolidge                                                                                                                                                         This is my 2nd summer using my 250 for dhw. It works great, plenty of hot water and no oil !                                  I even fill my pool with hot water.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 05:57:03 AM »

HandyMark,    The propane company was not happy, they even called to find out if we took out the gas stove and Rinnia. I guess if you add in the gas we use for the BBQ it would be a chunk more.

Karl,    What settings are you running at, i finally turned my temps down to 140, wife loves HOT water, Last time i filled the boiler(16"wood, so not really filled 2/3rds maybe) i got four days out of it.

Western Maine

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 04:07:44 AM »

coolidge I have my settings at 175 high and 170 low. I tried lower settings and didnt see much change. Dont go to low or you will get condensation.

mattNH

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »

I am currently not using my 250 for HW during the summer months.  You guys have me thinking.

I wonder how much the wood cost (cords & $$$'s) vs. the propane cost would be.  Anyone figure that out?

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »

EPA sticker on my electric WH estimates $42 per month but I really don't know how they come to that number. Back when I had natural gas at a previous home  it seems that bill was over $30 a month in 2007 when only heating the DHW in the summer. That was two adults in the house. I have considered building a crude solar panel and using it to supplement the boiler heat. If it was lower than the boiler it should thermo siphon with no need for a pump.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 05:41:11 AM »

Last year too heat DHW with a Rinnia on demand we were spending $100.00 a month for propane. Two kids and two adults. This year however, since hooking up the DHW from the boiler we have spent approx. $80.00 on propane in a 6 month timeframe. I dont think i have used a cord of wood yet for our DHW needs, which with the kids is ALOT, so i am thinking maybe two cord for summertime wood. Alot of pine and poplar and of course some hardwood for the coaling.
Western Maine

hawken

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 07:54:46 AM »

If you have a heat exchange already or you can use the wood boiler as a tank, just take 3 ft black pipe and wind it inside the iner circle of a used 8 or 10 ft satellite dish, attach it with tye wraps in a complete circle, cover the surface with 1/8 plexie glass and use the old focal arms and feed horn to make it a structure to support the plexieglass, spray the back of the satellite dish screen with spray foam, and now it will give about 180 degree water on a hot day , heats for 8 hours and circulates to store in tanks, lasts 24 hours easy, Just aim the old satellite dish to high noon sun angle for good efficiency

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »

I like that design idea. I had considered building a box the size of a patio door panel and using one as a lid. I envision it sitting in the ground on the south side of my boiler so the water will circulate on its own as it heats. It would be like building a side arm heat exchanger for the boiler.

hawken

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »

Sorry I made a Typo, its about 300 ft of black pipe, kyteck is best to use the UV rated stuff is black, or copper pipe if you can afford it,