Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do when our optimizer 250 won't gasify?  (Read 6079 times)

cowman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
What to do when our optimizer 250 won't gasify?
« on: January 02, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »

We have an optimizer 250, this is our second season with it and we are having trouble with it gasifying since the ice storm we had right before Christmas. We have cleaned out the ashes and have about 4-5 inches of charcoal under the wood. We are burning dry wood. The slot is clear of ashes and has a good air flow. We are going to be in the negative temps tonight and several nights in the coming week and would really like to get it running in peak performance asap.

Thank you for any suggestions that you may have, thank you!

jreimer

• View Profile
Re: What to do when our optimizer 250 won't gasify?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »

How does your nozzle look?  I had trouble with mine gasifying when the nozzle was deteriorated. 

Also, that seems like a lot of coals.  When I have a lot of red coals and throw more wood on, it doesn't have a good secondary burn because it can't supply enough fresh air to burn all of the gasses.

What size wood pieces are you using?
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 06:13:48 AM »

Keep the ash and coal bed down to less than three inches, let the wood and coal bed burn down more before adding wood.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

cowman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 06:16:45 AM »

Our nozzle deteroirated last season. Doesn't seem to be this year so far.

Do you take the red coals out then?

Burning pieces 3-8 inches diameter. 

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 06:29:48 AM »

No , simply adjust how much wood you put into the fire box, the goal is that when you need to add wood there is a bed of coals and ash, the ash for the most part will be on the bottom and the coals on the top, take out enough coals and ash to bring the level down to about 2 inches, shaking the shovel back and forth will allow the coals to fall off the shovel inside the firebox and put the ashes in a metal bucket for the garden later

cowman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:38:46 AM »

It is gasifying again this morning. Ryan thinks he knows what it was doing wrong. He also turned the fan down this morning. It did keep the house up to temp last night even with sub zero temps, so it must have been working properly last night too. But yesterday during the day, it wouldn't and the house was getting pretty cold. Thank you for the tips and suggestions, we are certainly still learning how to operate it properly.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »

IKeep an eye on your water temps at the boiler if they are under 140 it wont gassify for awhile.
Western Maine

jreimer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »

It is gasifying again this morning. Ryan thinks he knows what it was doing wrong. He also turned the fan down this morning. It did keep the house up to temp last night even with sub zero temps, so it must have been working properly last night too. But yesterday during the day, it wouldn't and the house was getting pretty cold. Thank you for the tips and suggestions, we are certainly still learning how to operate it properly.

Can you share what might have been going on that it wasn't gasifying? 
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

melamike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »

I am new to the forum but have been using the boiler for 4 years. This year through Slim Jim's tutoring I  finally got it figured out!  I was doing it all wrong. I was building fires with little wood and loading logs on top. I was wanting a big bed of coals to put my logs onto thinking it would burn better that way. If there were only a few coals left I would add a bunch of small wood to get the fire going well before adding big wood ....ALL WRONG!  Now with only a scant covering of coals over the nozzle ( sometimes I might only have a couple still glowing) I put in the biggest piece in that I can find, right on top of the nozzle! I load small stuff to the sides and then another big one in the second row to take the place of the first and so on. The unit is gasifying within 2 minutes every time. Build your fire upside down - biggest piece on the bottom!  I know it goes against what we think is right but it works! 

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »

I found using round wood will last a lot longer than split, maybe a moisture thing, I dony know.
I loaded last night around 7ish with all 5" to 6" round pieces and at 230 this afternoon had to add a few.
Temps down to minus 8 this morning.Been doing this for the last few nights and its been working very well.
Western Maine

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 05:17:02 AM »

Thanks, I could not have said it any better, I do appreciate all the help that you guys have been doing, as you can surely understand with this cold snap of 6 weeks or more I'm out straight and don't have much time for the forum.

Fireman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »

Hello all.  Brand new to this forum, or any forum for that matter.  But, I just wanted to relate my recent experiences regarding my Optimizer 250 so others may learn. 
Firstly, I am very experienced with a gasification boiler, having used an Alternate Heating Systems boiler for 7 seasons.  With that boiler, the ash blew out into a cyclone separator, so it was never necessary to remove ash from the fire box.  Thus, it seemed reasonable when I was told that it was rare to take ashes out of the 250 fire box.  I suppose my expectation was that they would be removed from the lower refractory chamber.  Also, I was told that it was necessary to maintain a good bed of coals.  Additionally, the furnace came with a rake, so it would seem reasonable, that the rake would be used to pull the coals to the top, and let the ashes settle to the bottom. 
The problem with all of this, is it doesn't work. 
After weeks of frustration, experimenting with more air, less air, different adjustments to the primary and secondary air, and concluding that air adjustments make very little difference at all, I finally got in touch with Brian from the factory, who did a really, really good job of calming me down and reassuring me that we could make it work.
He referred me to Jim, and within a few minutes, told me that all of the above was wrong.  He said, to simply take a flat bottom shovel, shovel right to the bottom, ashes are on the shovel, coals on top.  Tip the shovel, and allow coals to fall back into fire box, then discard ashes from shovel.  Simple as that.  He said 2 or 3 inches of coals are all that are required.   I would venture to say 1 to 2 inches is fine. 
It's like a different machine.  Works much much better.  Gasified immediately. Even at very low water temperatures.  He told me other things, like how to load the wood, and that has been mentioned elsewhere, but I don't think it's as important as the ash removal. 
So, I am a bit annoyed.  Wouldn't it be better educate dealers and customers on how to operate these furnaces? And wouldn't it be better to supply a flat bottomed shovel rather than a rake?
In conclusion, I am generally satisfied with the boiler.  I am a little nervous, about the mild steel rather than the stainless, like my previous boiler.  But I have been assured that as long as my water chemistry is correct, all will be well.  Unfortunately I have no idea what that is.  I sent a sample with my dealer months ago and have heard nothing. 
And finally, is this the best boiler ever? I'm not sure, but it is no longer the worst. 

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »

Welcome! Glad to hear you have got it figured out. I am interested to know why you went away from the wood gun? Looks like a real nicely built unit.

astro_ss_340

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »

wet or green wood will actually allow it to gasify more.  There will be more wood gas produced and once your chamber is hot enough it will ignite.  I have run scale models and have had my wood supply smoldering and not actually burning, smoke pours into the 2ndary chamber and once its hot enough it takes off like a tiger torch.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 06:48:16 AM »

You are right astro about the green wood, however the high moisture content is not good for the boiler, a good mix in high heat demand works very well but dry in the shoulder seasons please!
Pages: [1] 2