Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Smoker  (Read 2983 times)

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
Smoker
« on: March 28, 2016, 02:05:30 PM »

Neighbour is going to kill some hogs next week and we were wondering about building  a smoke cabinet on the OWB chimney.
Don't burn any garbage, just oak, maple, birch, etc. The boiler spends most of its time just idling now that spring is here.
By using the chimney cleanout to feed the cabinet we could control the amount of smoke.
Any of you smokers tried this?
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
Re: Smoker
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:07:20 PM »

Bad idea. I would not want to chance making my family sick or friends. Usually the hickory or Apple chips have very little bark on them or none at all. The bark on your wood holds all kinds of Un used minerals and polutants that the tree excretes when it grows. These can form into toxins when burnt especially when smoldered , that can build up in your body when eaten.  And hit you all at once kids are more susceptible with smaller Body mass.
 Like a bad allergic reaction.
This is just my opinion.  Be safe than sorry.  Best regards. Ben.
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

patvetzal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 07:36:50 AM »

Yes, most of our BBQing is done on a wood burning bbq in the summer and over a wood fire in the fireplace during the winter. In both cases we avoid burning bark but never connected the cause with the resulting taste.
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:38:17 PM »

I guess I don't understand why anyone would cook food or smoke food with a outdoor wood boiler.. I look in the inside  of my boiler..Ya I'm all set..There has been many posts on this forum about cooking food..More power to ya!. The wood boiler isn't designed to cook or smoke food..Thats my thought on it
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 10:10:26 PM »

I do a lot of meat smoking with a "real" smoker. I would never consider using my outdoor furnace as a smoker. I don't want the smell of creosote anywhere near any meat I'm smoking.
Controlling heat temperature is also crucial to smoking meat right.

patvetzal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »

I cook over wood most of the year, either in the fireplace or on the deck on the BBQ. I know that the woodsmoke gives the food its flavor but you have to do it right. Green maple is terrible to cook over....dry maple is OK, as long as you have a HOT fire and control the heat by moving the meat...
 The creosote in your firebox is nothing more than smoke that has condensed.  I see people with their little "smokers" that are nothing more than a fire at one end and the smoke is diverted over the meat at the other, either "hot smoking or cold smoking". Never done either but have enjoyed the results of both. (well, I have cooked rainbow and lake trout over a cool smoky fire for 3-4 hours)
My idea would use the cooler smoke, after any creosote has condensed....

fireman69lfd

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 07:18:56 PM »

I guess the way I'm thinking about is you should try it and let us know what we're missing. The only smokin I've done with mine is me and my clothes. I call it cologne.
Russ
Near Okemo Mtn. Ski area Vermont

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile

fireman69lfd

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile