Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking to buy outdoor wood burning furnace this year  (Read 5938 times)

rt014

• Training Wheels
  • Essex County, NY
    • View Profile
Looking to buy outdoor wood burning furnace this year
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »

Hi All - Hopefully you can bear with a few newbie questions, until I find the time to thoroughly scour the site and learn to ask the right questions.  Here a few to start with, along with some background:

Background:
-Located in the Adirondacks of NY.  Got hammered on propane this year.  I have an open loop geothermal system with propane backup for the last 10 years that's been very finicky, troublesome and recently very expensive because it's been a really cold winter.  I have over 50 acres and unlimited pine, birch (white and yellow), beech, hard maple, soft maple, hard hack....I'd be burning mostly seasoned hardwood.  My house is approx 3000 sq ft and moderately insulated.  I'm planning to add a garage/pole barn (co-located near the new furnace).  There are no restrictions on type of furnace I can install.

Questions:
1-What are the handfull of best well regarded conventional brands?
2-I want a stove that only needs once a day or every other day loading (I'm not there a lot and a friend would come over and load it).  Ideas on size or specific models?
3-I'd like a stove that can burn anything (including pine), but would mostly be burning hard wood...Ideas on specific models?
4-Any particular dealer / installers in my area that anyone can recommend?
5-I'm planning to leave the propane system in as backup and to fire the DHW system and kitchen stove.  What are some of the other key questions I should be asking but haven't? 

Thanks everyone

mtoll

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to buy outdoor wood burning furnace this year
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »

I would check check out the Heatmaster 10000E would be big enough to heat all the areas you listed, has shaker grates so you can burn coal also. Not real finicky about how season the wood you burn.  Great factory support, SS will give you great heat transfer, great support on this sight. Good Luck !
Wife Rodeos, have 5 Barrel racing horses
Ride HD Road Glide
Vet  USN / USMC

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:29:52 AM »

Welcome you are sure to get responses, I don't live near enough to you to have answers to your local concerns but they are legit. One thing you may want to consider, no matter which outdoor system you decide upon you may want to have a HX between your outdoor and indoor systems to fire your DHW, that can also give you a way to reverse feed your outdoor loop with your propane boiler if you ever have a breakdown and need to temporarily keep it from freezing. Good luck with your choice.

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »

With friends or neighbor's loading, I'd stick with standard boiler types, not a gasification boiler.   Might as well go big for long burn times and additional building in the future.

Design is important, I believe.  All stoves have fire in them, how well does your stove absorb the heat the fire makes before letting it out the stack?  Look for designs that have some sort of thought put into them, not just a round firebox with a chimney coming out.

P&M BL 3444, Heatmaster 10000E, Nature's Comfort 325G, and others I'm sure will be suggested.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

browncty

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7400B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:25:59 AM »

I have an American Royal 7400B Conventional OWB. Its manufactured in Plymouth, WI, you purchase them directly from the manufacturer. They do ship them by truck.

http://www.americanroyal.net/page/page/2021244.htm

One thing I would recommend is that if you only want to fill the stove once a day you need a large firebox. Mine holds lots or wood and will burn for over 24 hours. Now I do need to go out once in a while and move the ashes or wood to get that type of burn but it only takes me a couple minutes to adjust the ashes or wood. The temp outside and how warm you keep your home also impact the amount of wood you go through too. Also the type of wood you burn, if its green, how dry are also factors. Efficiency of your house can be the biggest factor in how often you feed the Dragon as I call it. If you home is inefficient I would purchase the stove with the largest fire box you can afford.

Wood if you can get it for free burn whatever you can get your hands on. I burn a variety of wood at this time. Right now I have lots of black locust which is very good burning wood and maybe the best wood to burn. I got most of this when I cleared my lot.

If you do get your OWB from a dealer and you plan to install it your self I would go online to purchase the installation parts, much cheaper. I did purchase some items from the manufacturer because the price was really good. If the dealer is going to install it be there when its installed so you can learn how it works to better understand your system.

Very import word of advice: Some boilers have the circulating pump installed in the back of the boiler, don't let them install it this way. Have it installed somewhere in the house and have isolation valves installed so you can easily swap out the pump if it goes out. You don't want to do this in the cold outside. Mines in my mechanical room in my basement. If they want to install it outside, the installers lazy and tell him NO! Also, you will want to keep a backup pump on hand in case one goes out, if it does you are in trouble.

I've said enough, but will say two more things, don't burn garbage in the boiler, there not designed for it. Two make you life easy call all your wood for the season, you don't want to cut wood in the winter if you don't have too. Its alright to have too much wood, but its bad to run out. I would also store the wood as close to the stove as possible. Makes your like easier.   

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »

Since you are in New York, you can only buy what is on this list. http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/73694.html

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »

Thanks RSI, I thought all of NY was EPA only!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »

man that sucks
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »

You can thank those guys down in the city for that, they can dump their crap in the Hudson to the point you can walk on water but don't you dare cut a tree to heat your home.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

browncty

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7400B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »

Slimjim you are right about that. Those in the big city want to dictate to us living in rural America. Its funny that wood burning stoves are an issue for air quality but heating with fuel oil is OK. Fuel oil can dirtier than wood.

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 11:39:33 AM »

You can thank those guys down in the city for that, they can dump their crap in the Hudson to the point you can walk on water but don't you dare cut a tree to heat your home.

Wanna know what the Japanese are doing with their crap these days?  Can you say "cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger.... Pepsi!"

LINKJapanese Scientists Create Meat from Poop (Click Here)

:o :o :o :o :o :o
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »

Since your in New York you have to consider a look at the Econoburn ASME approved outdoor or indoor boilers. Excellent performance, manufacturer will sell direct if there isn't a dealer nearby. Also you have Tarm (indoor models) that have self combustion monitoring with lambda controls for the perfect burn thru the whole cycle. Garn is another excellent choice with tons of happy customers and reviews. Needs its own shed or protection from direct weather. And Portage and Main.

If once a day feeding is a requirement any of these WILL do the job guaranteed. But no matter what it is, it will need to have a large volume of water to cover the home BTU needs for the day.This means storage or a boiler with a big enough water jacket like the Garn 1000 gal or more to provide the heat.

I don't know about the P&M as far as the list approved goes, but all the rest I listed are not considered OWB and are approved just like any other fossil fueled ASME residential or commercial boiler.  The outdoor version Econoburn is an indoor ASME boiler with its own shell/cover. And cheaper than several on the list.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:01:59 PM by Sprinter »
Michigan Thumber

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 04:50:05 PM »

Dual fuel burner? Wood with oil backup?

6pacmac

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »

Wanna know what the Japanese are doing with their crap these days?  Can you say "cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger.... Pepsi!"

LINKJapanese Scientists Create Meat from Poop (Click Here)   MMMMMMM!!!! Can't wait to get some of that on the grill :P

:o :o :o :o :o :o
Ridgewood 6000

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 06:06:15 AM »

I would just like to correct on piece of misinformation that browncty wrote. As a long time dealer let me advise you that pump location is not as simple as he thinks. 95% of the time we mount pumps on the back of the furnace because that is the proper place to put them. There is more important things to consider than ease of replacing the pump. I can understand with a furnace like his there may be little access to the back of the furnace and you may have little choice. A good furnace will have plenty of room on the back to easily install a pump and replace one if you ever need to.
 The pump should be installed at a spot where it will have no chance of air locking. If the basement is lower than the furnace and if the furnace is properly installed with a fill line where you can prefill the lines then the pump in the basement is an acceptable location. If the furnace is located level with or below the basement then you should place the pump on the furnace. Then again of course if you place the pump on the furnace you will not have a problem no matter which direction you are pumping.
 This is a reason I always advise people to make sure they have a good dealer to either install or provide support and advise. I have seen so many systems installed where guys have this all or nothing attitude like "If they want to install it outside, the installers lazy". Really? Complete ignorance on what makes pumps fail 80% of the time. 
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master
Pages: [1] 2