Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Coal  (Read 3768 times)

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Coal
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »

Well im really tossing around the idea of burning some coal this winter. Last winter was terrible for me with the burn times mainly because we were seeing allot of - temps that we usually dont see. Anyhow I was wondering what type of coal would be best to burn in my OWB? Im also tossing around the idea of getting rid of my wood stove thats in my basement and replacing it with a coal/wood stove so I would like to get coal that would best suit both. Most indoor stoves I was looking at called for rice coal. Does it really matter? Ive never burned coal before so any input is greatly appreciated....
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

stratton

• OWF Brand: D.S. MACHINE
  • OWF Model: D.S.Aqua Gem 3200 INDOOR
    • View Profile
Re: Coal
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 03:07:19 AM »

Dave, I am addicted to the black GOLD.I mix 1/3 coal to 2/3 wood it works great for the over night burns.I live in ct but take a quick drive to newberg ny to pick 2 tons of anthracite at a shot.Does your hardy have grates?? there a must. Its the only way to burn coal succesefully is to have air from under fire.Good luck!!! stratton
fairfield ct - wardsboro vt

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 03:38:07 AM »

Yes it has shaker grates. Would rice coal work good in them or would you want to go with bigger chunks of coal? Also how were the recovery times when burning coal compaired to burning just wood? I burn big blocks (untreated railroad tie ends) and they take a good bit of time getting the stove back to temp when its below zero.
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 03:43:03 AM »

Search for the Coal vs Wood thread. Lots of info there.
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:48:40 AM »

The temperature in my area gets to 10 degrees or so for a few days so I don't have as cold a temp but coal does work.

I hope you have forced air on your stove. I noticed a quick gain in temperature when I used it. It's nice to have for that
extra umph when you need it.

stratton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »

Dave,
You need stove or nut size coal, definitely not rice. Go on utube and and check out ds machine aqua gem 3200 there is a guy who who has my boiler who heats only with coal. He uses 4 ton to heat a 3000 sq ft ranch in PA

stratton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »

smitty33

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »

Hey dave. Those railroad tie ends, do u get them from one of those big plants that make them? They sell them or what.

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »

Smitty yeah there is a company down the road about 1/4 mile. My pap worked for them for 30ys+. I bought a dump truck and set it there and they fill it with about 8" to 24" blocks. It litteraly cost me $100 a yr to heat my home! Its all hard wood to boot..
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

smitty33

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »

Good deal. I have a plant about half hour away.

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:12 PM »

I heat a 4500 sqft house plus DHW with NCB-250 coal; last years worst winter's stats were; 5 ton of anthracite coal + 2 cords of wood. That's keeping it at 75F or warmer.
I get nut size coal. Last year they were out of nut size, so I got pea size; NOT rice, and it actually worked the same, just had to be careful not to loose much through the shaker grates. Definitely not ideal, but had to make it do at the time. I'd get at least nut size.
 You can get KY coal; stove coal, but it has too much clinkers, so I don't like to use it.
I have a special deal on anchorite which I love. No clinkers at all. Very clean.
You need shaker grates; preferable steal. I shake mine down every 12-16 hrs, and it will go 26-30 hrs on one load with just the shaking+2-3 logs on the side. If it's under 9F, with -F wind chills; I can go around 12-16-18hrs per load. You need to keep the differential at or/under 5F, or the coal bead will either go out-not enough air, or the temp will over shoot the target shut off temp after the blower is off; but 10+F. Once coal stats burning, it's not easy to stop. 

Dave,
You need stove or nut size coal, definitely not rice. Go on utube and and check out ds machine aqua gem 3200 there is a guy who who has my boiler who heats only with coal. He uses 4 ton to heat a 3000 sq ft ranch in PA