Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Found another use for my P&M Boiler  (Read 2455 times)

EE Farm Boy

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
    • View Profile
Found another use for my P&M Boiler
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »

Well, not only does my boiler do a great job heating the house, it came in handy the other day.  On my set of pallet forks I use on the tractor, one of the forks has been bent for a while from trying to dig up a fence post.  Something I should have never done, but I was to lazy to switch implements.  I had a bed of hot coals the other day that were glowing red with the fan going and it was warm outside so I had a thought.  I opened the door, took the fork off and laid the tip of fork in the bed of coals for a few minutes..... I thought, heck it is like a forge lets see what happens.  Pulled the pallet fork out while it was glowing red, put it on a 2x4 and with a quick few hits of the sledge hammer it fixed it good as new.  And just the other day I was talking about having to buy a new set of pallet forks, not now.   The P&M may have more uses than just heating your home on those warm days where the BTU's are not needed ;)

Uponthehill

• OWF Brand: PM 2840 w/ Logstor
  • OWF Model: 250 & 461 Stihl
    • View Profile
Re: Found another use for my P&M Boiler
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »

Has anyone ever made an area to set a pot of beans on an uninsulated section of copper ?  I'm thinking a copper plate soldered to the 1" copper would work. Low setting on a Crock Pot is about 170' ....
Central Kentucky wood burner !

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »

Haven't tried it yet but, I'm going to try to smoke a pork loin in the heat exchanger in my BL 2840. Load it up with Hickory, put the loin in the door above the fill door and let it smoke for about 8 or 10 hours.
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

smitty33

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »

I made some deer bologna in my oven recently. Was pondering about putting it in my boiler to smoke a while. Might be something I try next year.

Uponthehill

• OWF Brand: PM 2840 w/ Logstor
  • OWF Model: 250 & 461 Stihl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 08:19:05 PM »

Pork loin in the heat exchanger ...  Great idea. I foresee the same followed by potatoes /carrots / onions and a couple pieces of bacon wrapped in foil.  :thumbup:
Central Kentucky wood burner !