Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: just thinking...would I conserve wood if?  (Read 1579 times)

Maxfli

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
just thinking...would I conserve wood if?
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »

Have a heatmaster mf5000..with terribly insulated lines..would I save wood if my recirculation pump only ran when there was a call for heat from my furnace...was just thinking the whole time my house is up to temp..I'm continually recirculating water to the house and back...lossing valuable heat to the ground. Thanks for any help

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: just thinking...would I conserve wood if?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »

Do you know for certain you are loosing heat to the ground.  I have cheap pipe...but...temperature is the same on the gauges when the house is not calling for additional heat, wood consumption is not high, no snow melt on the ground above the line.  So, I run my pump all the time.
Muskoka, Ont

smitty33

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: just thinking...would I conserve wood if?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »

Mine is setup up on demand this year. Ran pump 24/7 last year. I have noticed a considerably less amount of wood usage so far. I have a hot water coil that is in my boiler for my DHW, so I don't have a plate exchanger that I need to circulate water all the time to heat hot water. To do it this way I have two pumps, one that does run all the time to circ. water at boiler, then another pump for my heat exchanger that comes on when call for heat. And to keep return temps happy I have a 30 plate installed at boiler. Works Great never seen return temps below 160. Run 185/175.