Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Shaver is a mess  (Read 11395 times)

tshepler

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
My Shaver is a mess
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:47:15 PM »

Ok so here it goes!!!! I have had my Shaver 165 for three winters and am still not getting the results I want. I have several problems and am looking for any help I can get. I am not super savvy so the more detailed descriptions the better.

Problems:

When I turn on the water fill valve on the side of my stove the water runs out and then starts coming out from the back of the stove between the siding and the area that was cut open for the factory thermostat i guess its like a heat plate???

Next my blower is not pushing out enough air. When I open my door with the blower running the wood is just smoldering?

Thirdly, I put my pipes in 6 inch corrugated 3 1/2 feet deep. I insulated pipes and even still the ground is always melted and wet?

What can I do to make this stove work? My furnace is connected to forced air and we rarely can get our house above 70. Sq ft 1700.  I will admit our house is old and has no insulation.

Sorry for all the complaints!!!! I want to make this stove work.

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
Re: My Shaver is a mess
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »

I can't help you with the first 2, but I can tell you you are losing a ton of btu's to the ground if you are melting snow. The problem is there is no way to fix the underground issuses without digging it up and replacing it. As unpleasant as that is your stove probably won't ever perform the way it should if you are trying to heat a unlimited amount of ground water.   

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:04:47 PM »

sounds like stove is out of level.lower in the back and dhw plate not sealed good. so when you turnon fill valve it overflows out dhw plate. as far wood smoldering is your side cover on your fan open 1\3 to 1\2.also raking hot coals toward the door helps. or maybe pluged flue pipe

tshepler

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:17:50 PM »

Tree climber. I don't see water leaking from dhw plate it comes right from that exposed heat plate area??  I have slider in blower open the whole way ??

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »

Sounds like your chimney may be plugged with creosote not letting air in.

If your using a home made line,Your losing a LOT of your heat to the ground if it's keeping the ground thawed and wet.  I've not seen a home made line yet that even compares to the cheapest triple wrap.  as long as your thawing the ground, your not going to get good results from your stove.

Also don't assume deeper is better as far as your ditch, once the heat escapes your lines it's gone, dirt is not an insulator.  It's sitting there absorbing heat that your obviously losing. 

So I'd start by cleaning the chimey just to rule it out and start making plans to get some good line.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »

I can't help you with the first 2, but I can tell you you are losing a ton of btu's to the ground if you are melting snow. The problem is there is no way to fix the underground issuses without digging it up and replacing it. As unpleasant as that is your stove probably won't ever perform the way it should if you are trying to heat a unlimited amount of ground water.
If it doesn't have any sharp bents in it, you might be able to pull it out and pull in some new line inside the 6" corrugated pipe. If you can get a 3 wrap with the corrugated pipe in, it would be much better than what you have.

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:45:42 PM »

Tree climber. I don't see water leaking from dhw plate it comes right from that exposed heat plate area??  I have slider in blower open the whole way ??

tshepler.....you need to silicone the snot out of that upper plate in the rear top of the furnace.  Do you have the DHW coils in your Shaver?  The plate that is in the upper most rear of the furnace NEEDS to be siliconed shut.  The ONLY time you will ever have to remove that plate again is is you have to replace/clean-out the coil.

The slider/damper on the motor should only be open 1/2 - 1/3 of the way....do NOT close it or all you will get is smoldering of the wood.

First as everyone suggests is to check the flue for creosote build up.....and this build up will be caused by NOT getting a rip roaring fire in there.  Bet you have "black slime" oozing  from the doors when you open them as well?   Also, you might want to check that cheapo t-stat that is in the rear of the furnace.  Mine was "supposedly" new from the factory, but after a while it died...within two months of my having the furnace.  While the furnace is running, you can "carefully" take a small screwdriver and turn the temp screw down and see if it shuts off the blower motor.  At what temp do you have the t-stat set?

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

tshepler

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »

I will try sealing dhw plate. I do have domestic hot water coil running. Blower is always open full. Do they make a bigger blower.  I will work on cleaning the flu awhile.

tshepler

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Blower and Insulated Pipe
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 07:18:02 AM »

Ok so i am going to dig my lines up and replace them with something better insulated, any suggestions or websites where to buy? Also I need a bigger blower? Any ideas or good sites for that?

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 07:33:19 AM »

I could give you a quote on your pipe if you'll tell me what kind your looking for and give me a length, don't cut yourself short, pm me
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

lugnut

• View Profile
Re: Blower and Insulated Pipe
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 07:55:42 AM »

Ok so i am going to dig my lines up and replace them with something better insulated, any suggestions or websites where to buy? Also I need a bigger blower? Any ideas or good sites for that?

Shep.....may I call you this?   

BEFORE we move on...was this a NEW furnace that you got?  Did you receive an OWNER'S INSTRUCTION MANUAL with the unit?

Before you go digging up your lines, you should take a look at everything else first.  Is the unit on a solid surface?  Concrete slab or gravel?  Is that surface level?  Is your furnace level?  I ask this because with my first and last Shaver 165 the frame was all contorted and not square no matter what one would do to it. 

You do NOT want to clean the flue while the stack/firebox is hot.  Let it cool down to almost nothing and you will be fine.  Unless you have a 5" chimney brush, that's what size you will need to do the flue..I had to special order mine.  Clean that bad boy out several times. 

How about the creosote build up in the unit?  Do you have the black slime oozing out when ever you open the doors?

The plate in the rear is easy to seal, it's just a pain to get to.  More time consuming, but it WILL be worth your time.  Use a GOOD quality silicone.  I found that it's accessible best by removing the rear roof ridge and then the rear face panels and then stand on a ladder and lift or remove the insulation and wipe down the surface really well....next you will want to remove some of the water as you will want the silicone to stick...other wise if there is warm/hot water in the tank, the silicone will NOT adhere as well.  YOu can drain the water and just look for yourself by lifting the plate as to how far the water had gone down....I let it drain to where the level was about 1 foot below the plate.     While you have the plate off,  you will find that the plate rests atop of an edge that is inside the frame...make certain that plate rests flush on that edge...then silicone all along where the gap is and do it really well.

It IS imperative that you get that plate ENTIRELY sealed!!!  Many issues stem from not having this plate sealed.

Now I've given you some ideas what to do, but like I mentioned, before you go pulling up your water lines, take the fore mentioned steps first.

Regarding your wanting to get a larger blower motor...there are a few fellows on here who have the plain jane stock 165 with the same 50 cfm blower motor and slide damper along with the t-stat that originally came with the unit and EVERTHING works fine for them.  I'm hoping some of them will chime in here.  "You need first deal with the basics".   I don't know where you live, but if you are located where it gets cold and snows a lot, you might want to wait until Spring before you go ripping things up...you will ONLY get more frustrated.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »

Good advice from lug but as long as your melting snow/earth there are no adjustments on the stove to correct that, I'd be afraid to see how much heat your losing to the ground
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 08:13:26 AM »

I would try to pull new lines through the 6" before digging them up.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

tshepler

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »

Ok Shep is fine lug. I live in PA pretty cold. Not like the midwest. I am going to wait till spring to do the lines. I have a backhoe so digging them up is not hard. I have a Ranco thermostat hooked up although it shorted because the leak from the back of the tank got water on the unit. I am ordering another ranco. Is it a bad idea to drill a hole through the dhw plate and insert the ranco sensor directly into the water?  I will work on other corrections first and will do lines this spring or summer.

Still would like recommendation on a fan.

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »

did you extend the chimney
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029
Pages: [1] 2