Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Direction and Location of Circulator  (Read 6524 times)

tshepler

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Direction and Location of Circulator
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:28:22 AM »

Another question?? Where is it reccomended to place the circulator at the top or bottom and should it be pushing water or pulling it. Mine is currently located at the top and is pushing water out of the stove. I am worried about if the water level goes down?

Thanks for all the help

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Direction and Location of Circulator
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:36:27 AM »

It should be at the bottom in my experience, hard tellin what shaver says but it helps in mixing the water.  Your cool water should return to the top and you should have your pump pulling off the bottom.

If it's on top and you have a boil over you'll lose your pump, there are Many other reasons for that as well to have it on the bottom
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »

From all the ones I have seen they pull the hottest water from the top and return it to the bootom.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »

The water tank should not have hotter water at the top, if it's not even that means you have circulation issues.  You could have water boiling in the front of your stove yet be coming out the back at 140.  It just takes another step to insuring proper circulation.  If you have poor circulation the water might be up to temp in parts of the stove but if ypits not hot where your aquastat sensor is then you'll never be able to shut the fan off.  Bring the return back to the top to help the fact that heat wants to rise. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »

Scott,

Oddly enough, in the Shaver Owners Instruction Manual it reads " Recent research has shown that it can be better to have the pump at the bottom and the return line where the pump is shown here."    And "HERE" in the owner's manual, the pump is located at the top...and when I typed ""oddly" in the beginning...IF this in fact were true, why is it that Shaver ships all their furnaces with the pump located at the top?

Don't mean to confuse anyone...just reading what is in the manual.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »

Lug, you dont want my honest answer lol

Why do they send those lil dinky stats?  Why do they send you parts that looks like monkeys welded it up and won't even fit?  Why do they do a lot of the things they do I'll never know.  I wouldn't put much faith in the manual because I have about zero faith in there knowledge of anything.  But that's my opinion, I'd much rather talk to folks on here whom are experienced in the field the same way you did.

You had a fair share of problems and most were fixed by folks on here helpin and talking about issues as u know, those things sure ain't covered in the manual.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »

If you are pumping the water out of the top of the tank and returning to the bottom, there is a good chance the bottom will be colder. It could cause bad creosote problems if it is too cold.
Pumps don't last long at the top either .

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »

Lug, you dont want my honest answer lol

Why do they send those lil dinky stats?  Why do they send you parts that looks like monkeys welded it up and won't even fit?  Why do they do a lot of the things they do I'll never know.  I wouldn't put much faith in the manual because I have about zero faith in there knowledge of anything.  But that's my opinion, I'd much rather talk to folks on here whom are experienced in the field the same way you did.

You had a fair share of problems and most were fixed by folks on here helpin and talking about issues as u know, those things sure ain't covered in the manual.

Scott,

I'm not disputing the facts and yes, everyone on here has helped me with my issues regarding this wonderful unit.  And every day I go out to feed the pig, I say thank you to everyone. 

I'm only reading what the manual says, but as I mentioned it is funny that the manual says one thing and their units are shipped just the opposite, Sooooooo apparently I'm MISSING something here.

But as in anything, the manual is but a mere guide to go by, NOT to follow verbatim. 

Jerry
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »

mine is located on top no problems.

Treewinder

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »

The recent manuals had an about face on the pump location.  It should be near the top.

Ed
Ed
Eastern Shore of Va.
Shaver 250
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
CSM-Procut design & Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P
Kobuta B-6100

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 06:06:35 PM »

thats what mine said 12-1-10

shorman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »

tshepler----My present Shaver 250 is my third ODF.The first one was a Hardy,all stainless and came with the pumps on the bottom.My second was a Central Boiler and also came with pumps on the bottom.I phoned the Shaver plant and asked them this question and he said put pumps on top.I put them on the bottom and have had no problems.I couldn't sleep at night if those 009 Taco circulators were on top and about 12" under the water.A loss of water and they would burn up since they depend on being under water for lubrication.I also put a brass strainer on the suction side of each pump in case there is some rust or other trash on the bottom of the boiler.With a ball valve on each side of each pump,it should be fairly simple to isolate and check the strainers for trash when I shut down after the heating season.------------I started with my first boiler in 1993 and had 10 good years of service.My MIL moved into our little house and liked the heat at 95* so I sold the Hardy and bought a CB with more output..It rusted out in 7 years and totally failed the next year so it couldn't be welded.I like the Shaver round boiler but only time will tell if it is quality or junk.------Hope my experience helps you----shorman

9all 3)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 03:16:10 PM »

shorman,
   Of the three OWB brands, which is best?
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »

shorman,
   Of the three OWB brands, which is best?

or which do you like best?
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

roadrash

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: smallest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 04:16:12 PM »

Just my 2 cents worth guys...The only reason shaver says to pump from the bottom is because if you pump from the top and have enough boil off with out topping off the tank every couple of days, its gonna suck dry and burn up the pump. Im guessin this happened quite a few times and they had to replace the pump under warranty. I pulled from the bottom my first year and burnt more wood than i have since switching to the top. It just makes more sense...heat rises, therefore water on top is gonna be hotter.   
I bought this furnace in 2008 (had many problems, took 8 months to get it) So far, after some tweaks here and there, it does what its supposed to do..my biggest complaint was that it looked like it had been welded and assembled by a kid in high school shop class..anyone elsed have similar thoughts?