Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: My not so messy shaver  (Read 3338 times)

tshepler

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
My not so messy shaver
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »

Well I cleaned up my wiring and sealed the dhw plate. I replaced the fan and found out mine was not working. The motor ran but was not spinning the blades so no air. I also insulated the furnace. It seems to be running very well. I am putting my new Ranco on tonight. I made a drywell from copper.

I still have two questions.

What temp and differential should i set my ranco at? Remember I am losing someheat underground but dont want my fan running constantly.

I sealed the dhw as best i could. However there is a significant gap in the back the metal plate sits flat but the metal near the stove pipe is arched like it bent how should i seal that. Also at the front of the dhw plateon either side their are to big gaps down below the aluminum siding how do you seal those. I did not want to drop silicone into the tank.

Other than that I am very happy with stove right now.

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Re: My not so messy shaver
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:12:06 PM »

you might be surprised at it even though you are losing some heat in the ground. i don't know your situation but if your lines are dry inside the pipe you have them in that is much better then soaking water. most all home made line sets will probably melt snow but i don't believe it's the end of the world either. how much can you spare to lose ?
mine is set at 152on 165off

lugnut

• View Profile
Re: My not so messy shaver
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »

Shep,

Regarding that durn plate in the rear.  First off, how old is your unit?  Here's what I had to do with my plate.  It originally came with what appeared to be two handles; one on either side and this would provide ease in pulling up on the plate to remove it.  I also noticed that there were two steel angles welded on the plate, one on either side of the plate, well these angle guys were NOT allowing the plate to rest flush against the inner frame; so I literally cut off the angle brackets (To this day I have no clue as to what their purpose was).  I then took the plate and lowered it down onto the inner frame, only to find out that the second grader that fabricated the frame did NOT square the frame in which this plate would lie.  BUT....upon further investigation I discovered that if I took the plate and flipped it upside down, it would fit perfectly within the confines of the frame.  So that's what I did and then I applied lots of silicone and it hasn't leaked yet...

Hope this makes sense.  but KNOW this...you HAVE to get that bad boy SEALED all the way around...or you will leak water and this is NOT a good thing.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles