Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Failed tests?  (Read 20986 times)

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Re: Failed tests?
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »

ya same here happy with my 165 i will keep running till it quits. all my windows are blowed out from storm and still keeps house warm.

rclay1981

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 600HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »

this is the reply they sent me through ebay when i asked them about the irs

YES, Shaver Furnace is proud to announce that the Shaver Pro Series 165, 250, 290 and 340 models have all been tested and certified to be 75% efficient or better.   Who said that we didn't test them?  All testing was done by an independent lab.  We no longer claim a tax credit because that is over. Where did you read that?

This means that you will burn less wood than with others - with them being less than 75% efficient. That's proof, not just rhetoric.

The lab DID err in one part of the test and didn't follow IRS rules to the letter but we DID submit our furnaces to independent tests. THEY made the error, not us. We submitted the furnace and paid in good faith.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »

That is priceless! 75%? There are a lot of gassers that can't even make that. You would think if they were going to lie about it they would at least try and make it believable.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Yooper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »

Indoor furnaces are more efficient than outdoor boilers.  The heat is transferred to the air in the house and it's done.  Outdoor boilers need to transfer heat to the water and then to the air in the house.  In addition, outdoor boilers will have heat loss to the outdoors.  Outdoor wood boilers also lose heat from the tubing to the ground.  Indoor furnaces or boilers will have heat loss too, but it's inside the house so it helps to heat the house.  Many people will have short hot burns with indoor furnaces.  This will make better use of the gases in the wood.  In addition, many indoor furnaces and boilers will make better use of secondary combustion (gasification).  Outdoor furnaces sit and smolder for long periods of time.  This makes less use of the gases in the wood.  Some outdoor furnaces do gasification but they still have the other losses.   Indoor wood furnaces cost a lot less than outdoor wood furnaces, but may not have the extended burn times.

I'd really like to see efficiency comparisons based on the BTU output of say Northern Red Oak to compare the various wood burning apparatus.  I've been thinking of getting an outdoor boiler for some years, but I don't burn as much wood with my indoor furnace and so find it hard to justify the convenience of longer burn times.  Does anyone have a valid set of efficiency numbers for wood burning appliances?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]