Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: woodmaster leaking?  (Read 8991 times)

pete

• View Profile
woodmaster leaking?
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »

resently i have been having to add water to my woodmaster stove daily.  i have owned it for 2 years and never had any problems before.  i can not find any where that it looks like its leaking is there anything else that could cause my water loss?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: woodmaster leaking?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 05:53:05 PM »

small hole in the underground pipe? an aquastat that is not shutting down in time and letting your water heat a little too hot and it is steaming off?
a small leak into the firebox that goes unnoticed as the fire drys it up?

there are a few guesses where you might look
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:50:17 AM »

thank for the tips.  i don't think i have a leak, i think i am having the water steam off.  i am having a hard time controlling the water temp.  would the aquastat not shutting down in time cause that or is there something that might cause a draft and let the fire burn out of control.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 03:22:34 PM »

if your aquastat is set at 180 (most factory settings) and you are burning very dry wood or very small pieces, that "could" cause your fire to be really raging when the set temp is reached and after the blower (or draft door) shuts there is still a huge fire going it may raise another ten degreesbefore the fire actually dies down...and if it is warm outside and your home is not calling for any heat when the aquastat shuts things down this could indeed cause enough of an "afterburn" to raise the temp enough to cause some steaming off

a leaky door gasket may also cause this type of problem

some stoves (i am not familiar with yours) have a samll draft door that is set part way open so as to not smother your fire right out when idle and this door could be open a little to far that it allows too much combustion air in when the stove should be idle

if you have discovered no air leaks you might try (at the start and end of the heating season) setting your aquastat down some..say to 150 or 160 shut off temp...some manufactures do not recomend this as they say temps above 180 discourage air int he water and thus lessens the chances of corrosion?

ther may be an owner of your stove stop in and have the real answer for you..i am only guessing
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Dirtslinger

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 04:45:14 PM »

thank for the tips.  i don't think i have a leak, i think i am having the water steam off.  i am having a hard time controlling the water temp.  would the aquastat not shutting down in time cause that or is there something that might cause a draft and let the fire burn out of control.

Pete
I have a woodmaster What is the temp up to when you have to add water.(mine was up to 212)
I had them same problem mine the little flapper on blower motor would not shut it would boil over in a day.
Pull the front cover off your door and look to make sure the flapper is shut.
Mine will still go past sent point  so I just set it at 170 and it will go almost to 180 but no that the weather is still warm I have it set at 150.
They should have used something better to control blower so when you got close to set temp it would slow down and close the flapper
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA