Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Overloaded?  (Read 2659 times)

mingom

Overloaded?
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »

Hey guys, it's been a while.  Has anyone ever had an issue with overloading their 4400?  I think I may have tonight, I keep overshooting the hi set point and I had some creosote catch on fire I believe.  I was just wondering if you can really overload the stove?

Thanks!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Overloaded?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:07:37 PM »

if you mean "overshooting" the set point by 5 or ten degrees...it can happen. as long asyou don't overshoot to boiling there is no harm. if you have a roaring fire going (like you might in this weather as you are loading the stove with more pieces to assure you still get that overnight burn) and the set temp is reached (and yoru home is not calling for any heat) it is quite possable there is enough volotile gasses  and air in the stove to continue to burn for a few minutes causing the "overshoot"

also with this extra wood you may be sending more heat and gas up the flue pipe to cause a "chimney fire" taht would set any creosete in teh flu pipe on fire. again no harm done if your flue pipe can take the extra heat

some times with a huge roaring fire , when your draft (blower or natural) shuts off the fire may (for a while) draw air back down teh flue pipe to feed the fire (perhaps you have heard the poof poof poof  of teh small explosions casued in the fire box when this occurs?)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada