Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: No leaks  (Read 8754 times)

Intheoaks

No leaks
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »

I don't see HeatSource1 posted here much anymore, am I the only one with one of these left with no leaks? Past posts in this section sound like folks are disgusted and I have to admit that there is little to no local support in my area for this brand anymore but after +/-8 years of use I have few complaints. One thing the rep did when I purchased was brag about the stainless firebox and it's durability, is anyone else having good luck with this? I have tried to pay attention to water treatment as far as ph and hardness and have not had any need to add water other than a bout with an expansion bladder problem. Just hoping I wasn't alone out here!

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: No leaks
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »

In general I hear complaining, but those who are happy likely don't feel the need to spout about it online or to other dealers. 

What type stainless does it have?

The longevity of your unit is a lot to do with how you take care of it, keep the water temps set high "180ish" and keep your boiler treatment in check with a lab quality water test, ph is one thing but there are other things to watch for.

Hopefully your system is properly designed and your return water temps are good n hot!!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »

It's 10 gauge 409 stainless, always kept temps like 180, returns are about 150 or more depends on what's calling. Just don't hear much I guess that may be a good thing after all!

Yea...  I'm not sure how many units was put out by them
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

CVR Mfg employee

• OWF Brand: Heatsource1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »

CVR Manufacturing bought the brand name Heatsource1. I'm happy to hear that your stove is doing well after all these years. Scott7m is right, there are other things that you need to keep track of in your stove's water. We are water testing if you feel you need your water tested, and we are also just a phone call away if you have any questions about any issues you are having.

Feel free to contact us anytime you need us. Our info is on our website, heatsource1.com

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:23:50 PM »

I still have mine. Got it ready last weekend. No leaks here. Not yet.

cashtech

• OWF Brand: heatsource one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »

I am newly registered here.  I bought a Heat Source One 10 years ago, heat two houses with it. Had a couple of poor welds spring small leaks about seven years ago, Mark and Kathy paid me to have a local welder fix it.  No trouble since.  Sorry to hear that the EPA forced them out of business.

The new owner, CVR, sent me a card in the mail, offering water testing. I filled it out and mailed it, never heard from them. Tried calling, they never returned my call. I would like to get a better analysis than I can do myself with test strips from the aquarium supply store.

I can get some parts from non-OEM suppliers, such as blowers and pumps.  Would like to purchase a spare control, bladder switches and so forth. Anyone know of a source?

I have kept my temp at 160, except when it is really cold out, then I bump it up to 180. Why is it important to keep it hot?  And when these things burn out, where do they usually fail? I appreciate any advice from other HS1 owners.

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »

Cashtech, I have an almost 10 year old HS1, got the same CVR letter, they even posted on this site, see past posts. Made my last bladder out of a truck inner tube and it is equal to the original (thanks to help form this forum), spare parts are easily ordered from Grainger or try
http://www.altheatsupply.com/shop-by-needs/outdoor-wood-furnace-parts.html the last site has water testing stuff too more involved than aquarium supplies.
 Any problems with door hoses or boiling in the door?
 From what I gather there are not a lot of us around, Heatmor is a very close model, sister models in the right years. Glad to see someone else is out there, happy woodboiling!

cashtech

• OWF Brand: heatsource one
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »

Thank you ITO.  Nice link, I put it on my favorites, looks like good prices on Dayton blowers.  Yes I have had to replace the hoses on the door, and occasionally I do hear a little boiling in the door.  What does that mean, and do I need to do anything about it?  Also, about six years ago I installed an Aquastack heat saver in my chimney, I believe it saves at least 20% on my firewood.  What kind of water treatment do you use?

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 08:02:20 AM »

Aqua stack heat saver? I will search on that, never heard of it, thanks.
 Not sure about the boiling in the door, I just don't want to overheat and warp the door, concerned the hoses are distorting at the fittings and restricting the water movement through the door? Have heard recently to try semi truck hosing for replacement, maybe braided hosing? I haven't tried that yet but put valves on the boiler side to make changing them quicker. Doesn't it seem the hoses are least restricted when the door is halfway open? Especially the bottom one to me.
 I have been using treatment from altheatsupply for the last 3 years, the manual only talked about ph and I did that since new, now I test for nitrites as well as ph.
http://www.altheatsupply.com/protech-300-test-kit.html
 Not trying to sell this stuff, it's just what I use, hard to say if it will pay off but it is pretty cheap to do in the long run.
 How about the anode rod? I replaced it for the first 5 years or so but the last one broke off at the top when I tried to remove it, I did a little searching around and found that most other brands don't use them, found I had lots of gunk from the used rods in the bottom of my boiler, so much that I had to flush my boiler to get it off the bottom, read that the deposit would keep the chemical treatment from getting to the metal. I even had to remove valve and keep stirring with a rod to keep the drain flowing, did that a couple summers ago, since then no rod. Not sure how often to flush the boiler now, hate to lose all the treatment otherwise I would do it every year.