Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: unhooked spring  (Read 6732 times)

Neal

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
unhooked spring
« on: March 06, 2010, 05:37:45 PM »

I noticed this morning that the fan had a kind of funny sound but wasn't sure what it was.  Later this afternoon I noticed the temperature was way down and the funny noise was still there. 

Got the tool kit out and pulled the cover and the spring had unhooked from the flapper for some reason.  Never had that happen before.  Hooked everything up and left the cover off until temps were up on the aquastat to see if everything worked. 

Any one else had that happen?
Stihl 038 AV super pro
Tractor mounted 3 point splitter,
1987 Steiner S-20 tractor, and many attachments

Dirtslinger

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
Re: unhooked spring
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »

My spring didnt fall off but the flapper stayed open causing boiler to boil over happened twice had my dealer put new flapper on and no problem since.
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

pdboilermaker

• Training Wheels
  • www.princesspetitepoodles.com
    • View Profile
    • Princess Petite Poodles
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »

Never had an issue with the spring falling off but I have had an issue with creosote building up on the inside of the fan.  That makes them whine, kind of whistle actually.  The best thing that I found to do was use a high pressure, high volume air compessor with a blow off gun on the end and shoot it at the fan blades.  Run that dude up to like a million rpm then change direction.  Do it a few times and the stuff will fall out of the bottom of the electric motor housing.

Then when I put it back together, I put a furnace filter on top of the hog panel at thats at the bottom of the cover to "weed" out the creosote from getting into the electric motor.  So far so good
Woodmaster 4440, Sthil ms310, Jeep Wrangler to pull home the wood, Noritz tankless water heater, smart car

charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 06:58:26 AM »

Never had an issue with the spring falling off but I have had an issue with creosote building up on the inside of the fan.  That makes them whine, kind of whistle actually.  The best thing that I found to do was use a high pressure, high volume air compessor with a blow off gun on the end and shoot it at the fan blades.  Run that dude up to like a million rpm then change direction.  Do it a few times and the stuff will fall out of the bottom of the electric motor housing.

Then when I put it back together, I put a furnace filter on top of the hog panel at thats at the bottom of the cover to "weed" out the creosote from getting into the electric motor.  So far so good
Spinning a bearing with compressed air is not good for any bearings.  It will actually spin the bearings much faster than they are meant to turn, and ruin the service life of the bearing. Worked as a Harley Tech for a dealer, and went to school in Milwaukee , that was mentioned as to never spin bearings with air. Sounds cool but ruins the bearing. You can knock off the creosote with the air but go easy on spinning the cage-bearings.
woodmaster 434 since 2002, 612 gal. storage stss; super splitt;stihl ms360.