Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Burning time?  (Read 2032 times)

MiHawkeye

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heiss Heater
  • OWF Model: gasifier
    • View Profile
Burning time?
« on: November 12, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »

How long does your burner actively burn at a time?  Just wondering what everyone else gets with the different burners out there? If you could put what type of burner you have, what water temp you run at, and how long it typically takes for it to burn to keep it at that temp. I know each burner is going to vary widely, based on heat draw, what type of wood you are burning, and many other factors. This isn't a exact survey, just for $h!+$ and giggles.

I am running a Heiss Heater gasifier at 185 degrees. I have aquastat set to kick blower on when the water coming back in is +\- 2 degrees, then usually takes 25-30 minutes of blower time to get it up to point it shuts off. Thats burning oak that is seasoned only since spring. (Just got burner and this season's wood is not as seasoned as future will be).

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
Re: Burning time?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »

Hmm. lot of variables but fun question:

Timberwolf 5000 installed about one month ago.
Atmospheric Draft
45 minutes to 1 hour to go up ten degrees (From 170 to 180) burning Popple.  Heating 3800 square feet  and domestic hot water through a sidearm.
Haven't run much hardwood through the thing and don't know if I'll need to. I got a 24 hour burn out of the Popple when it was 35 or so outside and windy.

Timberwolf 5000 (Installed 9/2013)
Sidearm heat exchanger (in process of being installed)
20 cords of hardwood and 10 of soft ready to go :)
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »

Hardy H4. I burn any and everything from pine to kiln dried hardwood. I was only getting about 12hr burn time with non insulated lines. I got 3 wrap lines this summer, now it has been in the low 30s to high 20s this week. I loaded it 3/4 full or better and Im getting 16hrs or better. Temp set at 180. When it was in the high 30s and 40s I was seeing 24hr or better
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

Johnv656

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 08:49:52 AM »

Hawken Energy, set at 185 with a 20 degree differential.
Heating 1200 sq ft and hot water. Keep house at 74 degrees.
Always get at least a 24 hour burn, even when in the single digits.  When in the 30's a 1-2 day burn.

Went away last winter for 4 days, turned the house t-stat down to 64. Loaded it full. Got home and called my dad to ask if he had filled my burner while we were gone, there was till probably half of the wood left.
It was in the low 30's while we were gone.

A lot depends on how much heat you pull out of the water.