Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: modifications to a shaver 290  (Read 3866 times)

brian45786

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heat Master
  • OWF Model: HM10Ke
    • View Profile
modifications to a shaver 290
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:10:26 PM »

Hello forum users:
 I am 3 years into the use of a shaver 290. I am heating 5500+ sqft. and have 2  40 gal hot water tanks.  I have made several mods to the stove to eliminate issues.
 1st.  I was adding 5 gal of make up per day diluting my chemicals. > replaced the aquastat with a Ranco and created a thermal well to put the new probe into, hoping this would shut the blower off before the stove started to boil and blow steam. old stat was set at 140 and boiling was happening up front.
 2nd. I removed the top and used several tubes of high temp silicone around the hot water coil access hole to stop steaming off issues and soaking the top of my stove and wetting the insulation.
 3rd. I installed a return line to the front of the stove so the cold water was returned to the front where the boiling was taking place and hot water was drawn from the rear, also i installd a 1/2 pipe 90 on the overflow with a 4 inch nipple on a slight elevation in a attempt to condense steam and drip it back into the stove. steaming off is now fixed. and it will go weeks with only a cup of make up befor it drips out
 I have added new insulation on top and under the stove as the bottom is left bare.
 4th. the door gasket silicone was replaced several times befor the final mod was made. we (stewie3500 and I)  ground off the 1/4in bar stock that was tacked every 4 inches and relpaced it with 1in strap that is welded solid all the way around, this created a channel so we could install 3/4in rope gasket glued in with permatex gold high heat adhesive gasket maker. we also removed the bottom bolt of the hinge and welded the hole closed, square the door up and redrilled the new hole. now the door aligns with the stove and fits square.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:12:26 PM by brian45786 »

JerryMac

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 290
    • View Profile
Re: modifications to a shaver 290
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 05:22:34 AM »

Brian, nice post. I am new to the forum.  I bought a shaver 290 2 winters ago. It was 2 years old and I think the guy didn't have it all wired right. Has the 1/2" walls so I like that. The Shaver stoves seem to me to be pretty basic: heat water and circulate it. Other stoves have more bells and whistles, but in the end, they all do the same. I added a blower dampener during 1st season and I think that really helped in wood consumption. Resealed the door. But I don't like having to add so much water, so often. All that said, I really like your mods. I have my water line set up so I add from inside the house. I have a sidearm heat exchanger on my hot water heater. This does fine for me. I added a nipple and rubber line to the overflow on stove so I can stand at my back door and see when water level is full. BUT, my hose slopes downward. I will rigged that hose so it has slight upward slope and condensation will run back in. DUH !! But, how close is the overflow tube to the back plate on the stove? If I fill slightly higher than the overflow tube, will water run over that opening in the back of the stove?? My stove is level so just curious on height of the tube vs back plate.  I will also make a new plate for that back access piece where the hot water copper coil runs in and seal it good. Thru it I am going to put a dry well for a new water temp controller. Guy from Wisconsin that I bought the dampener from also sells temp controller. Great mod ideas from your post. Thanks.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
Re: modifications to a shaver 290
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »

I have made most all of those modifications to my Shaver that you described as well.  I also built a whole new door this past summer and it is now square to the stove and I used the silicone rope on the new door, as well as insulating the door.  Apparently they do not sell squares in Arkansas where these are built since I thought maybe only my stove door was so far off?  Seems this is more common than I thought. 

I have not tried the 90 and nipple to condense the steam and will probably add that.  Good post! :thumbup:
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!