Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cord gone  (Read 5593 times)

coolidge

• View Profile
Cord gone
« on: October 31, 2014, 03:41:29 AM »

Been heating the shop and the DHW for the house since the 2nd week of Sept. Just finishing my first cord.
Western Maine

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
Re: Cord gone
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 05:25:52 AM »

Face cord or federal?
installed in 2014

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

Federal
Western Maine

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »

Good to hear from someone on wood usage.  I was just thinking about that today when I finished my first skid of wood (1/3 cord).  I've been running for 13 days but had nothing to compare to.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 11:13:20 PM »

Haven't even started mine yet. Locked in my nat gas price awhile ago, so until it gets super cold no point in not using the natural gas. Also good to get some use out of the furnace as well to make sure alls well. My back is still too jacked to think about cutting anymore wood for awhile anyways.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 08:08:48 AM »

Been burning since Oct 1 and have used a bit less than a half cord.  This a.m. there is an inch of snow on the ground.  It is a winter wonderland.  It's the hap....happiest time of the year!!
Muskoka, Ont

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »

Haven't even started mine yet. Locked in my nat gas price awhile ago, so until it gets super cold no point in not using the natural gas. Also good to get some use out of the furnace as well to make sure alls well. My back is still too jacked to think about cutting anymore wood for awhile anyways.

Chiropractor dude.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 06:23:24 PM »

Chiropractor dude.

He was in an accident dude.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 07:40:31 PM »

Ive been up and running since Oct 5th.. Basically what I've burned  is junk wood, short pieces  etc..if i was to guess maybe a half cord so far..oct was fairly warm here in NH
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 04:03:10 AM »

Chiropractor dude.

Sorry for my comment i didn't know what happened, I figured just tossing wood around d was the cause. Sorry

Lineman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 04:23:05 AM »

First year with owb MF 5000  being burning 3 weeks adding 3-4 pieces in morning & night  just wondering is it better to let it burn down or load it every other day  during mild temps here in MI

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 06:42:59 PM »

I've got maybe a 55 gal drum of wood burnt in 11 days......1200sf of shop...to 70/ in slab...calls for heat 2/3 times a day...9 hours apart or so

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »

Chiropractor dude.

Sorry for my comment i didn't know what happened, I figured just tossing wood around d was the cause. Sorry

No harm, no foul.

Finally got the insurance crap straightened out, gonna let the good folks in South Bend that handle the Notre Dame football players take a crack at the back first, three bulging discs and a torn disc is a little more than a bone cruncher can handle I think.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 05:48:56 AM »

I have been burning since October 2 here in central ohio heating my 1600 sf house. Burning a lot of cotton wood and poplar with a few odd pieces of oak and cherry. I hve burnt right at 3/4 of a cord. We have had mornings in the 20s with the temps warming up into the 60s.
Michael West
Central Ohio

Hammersquash

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: 200 ProHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 05:43:03 AM »

I have been heating my DHW, 140 year old 2200' Home and 48,000 cubic foot insulated shop now since the second week of September.  I have been dumping heat at times just to make sure I have a maximum time of 10-12 hours.  I have three 200' floor joist loops, exchanger in oil furnace plegnum and cast iron radiator in great room.  I have had rad shut off and the radiant floor heat is heating the entire house.  I think the fan in the furnace has only come on when it is 2'C or less.  We have had to keep windows upstairs open a crack to let the heat out.  Much of this heat is coming from the basement up the vents and returns.  The basement is a sauna as I have 3" sprayed insulation on the walls.
    My shop is kept at 21'C with a 100,000 BTU Dragons breath exchanger unit.  It was -2 at 6AM when I went outside and the shop was steady at 21 and the fan wasn't calling for heat. 
    The boiler is set at 170/180 and was 183 when I woke up this morning and just starting an idle cycle.  I have a wireless meat thermometer with 2 zones and the temp differential to return was 183/176 and have just shy of 200' of Logstor to the boiler.
  As far as wood consumption goes it is tough to gauge right now as I am burning wood from different stacks.  My best guess would be about 1.5 cords of mixed crap.  On milder days dry pine and very poor quality woods.  On the colder days I throw in a chunk of walnut or maple at night for longer burns.
  Very happy with the results.  I have pulled blower off the back of my unit and there is no creosote buildup or flap issues at this point that I have read about.
  Very happy!
Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27
2012 F250 King Ranch 6.7 TD
Pages: [1] 2