Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Front door leak  (Read 13787 times)

Curado

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Front door leak
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »

the stove is not "bubble level".  I mean that when water overflows out the top it will always roll down the left side.  I assume that the stove is pitched fwd ever so slightly, but to say it is uneven enough to cause this issue is unrealistic.  with that thought though wouldn't I want it slightly off level to ALLOW the water to drain out the front if it was being produced.  I don't want any water in the fire box.  at least dripping out is getting it OUT.  right?

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »

I have a MF5000E and it is doing the same thing. 185 set temp and 10 degree differential. I noticed that the design of the ash door has a flaw. The gasket is about 1/2 inch wide but the bottom of the pan rests against the lip that sticks out to seal the door. The lip forces the gasket down as it is so close to the edge of the gasket and it cannot seal. There needs to be a spacer under the pan that allows the lip to seal against the center (or close) of the gasket. Thinking about a spacer to help lift the ash door so the lip contacts better and doesn't allow cold air in to condense.
We are burning 2 year old cherry and oak  and hard maple that is pretty dry. Heating a brick 2400 sq ft  ranch house and going to hook up a 2-1/2 car garage soon. Building a 30 x 40 garage this year to heat also. Getting 12 hour burns out of 5-7 chunks of wood at 20-40 degree outside temps. Stove works awesome however hate the mess. Also notice that the ashes are really 1/4" chunks of charcoal not ash. Can't complain about the performance of the stove or the quality of the build...just symptoms that don't make sense. Our electric bill has gone from $650/month to $150. And then the house was only 64 degrees. Love my stove
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 05:37:25 AM »

Mr. Suzukidad, how often do you empty your ash pan?  If you empty your ash pan less often, those chunks of charcoal will burn up into powder. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 05:50:00 AM »

I empty it once a week. It is usually full. I will try letting it go longer. Thanks

Vince
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

Curado74

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Mf5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »

Ok, one last observation for you and then I'm done complaining. I noticed this week that when the blower is on there is some smoke coming out of the top left corner of the front door.  None when idle.  Is that showing an air leak and causing the moisture.?  I'm done. Thanks for putting up with all the questions.

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 07:13:49 PM »

No. When the fan is running, the firebox is essentially pressurized. Normal atmosphere pressure is far less than what the fan creates. Air/smoke can be forced out, but it isn't enough for air to leak in.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 02:40:26 AM »

This is one of those times CountryBoyJohn that I will respectfully disagree with you. If air is leaking out of the door, it can and will leak in, can the doors be adjusted to stop the air or could silicone be used on top of the gasket to seal it up?
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 05:40:12 AM »

No problem Mr. Slim.  I've had my stove for 2 years.  There are periods of time, from the very begging when all the ropes were new, that when the smoke level is at its peak after a fresh load of wood when the fire gets roaring, that I do have smoke wisps leak from the door.  This has never caused any overheating issues with my stove.  My door is tight and my ropes are good.  Your PM stove door design, and others, my prevent this 100%, which would be great.  But, on the HM stoves, some smoke wisping out of the door under a heavy smoke load, I would say, is considered "normal." 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 11:35:50 AM »

Tried emptying the ashes every 2 weeks. There is far less condensation in the ash tray and the coals are turning to a finer ash. Usually put 7 pieces of wood in to get through 12 hours and now only need 5. Stove appears to be more efficient when the ash tray is full and coals can build up deeper in the fire box.
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

Curado

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »

when you empty the ash pan every 2 weeks is the pan initially overflowing with ash?  I have waited that long to empty and the tray is usually totally full and overflows when pulling it out. Had to shove back in to pick up extra ash.  Does an ash pan completely full hurt the air flow from the fan?  Who emptys only when pan is full or do they expect overflow?

suzukidad

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »

Update:
I adjusted all the rope seals (moved them so that they compressed more against the frame), tightened the door bearings, and empty the ash pan less frequently. Drips all gone!!! Not sure what adjustment made the difference but not sure I care as long as it stays dry!
Husqvarna Rancher 455
Husqvarna 440
Jolly Star Sharpener
Suzuki King Quad 750
Polaris Ranger XP700

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 07:56:59 AM »

when you empty the ash pan every 2 weeks is the pan initially overflowing with ash?  I have waited that long to empty and the tray is usually totally full and overflows when pulling it out. Had to shove back in to pick up extra ash.  Does an ash pan completely full hurt the air flow from the fan?  Who emptys only when pan is full or do they expect overflow?

Yes, when I empty, it is plumb full and I usually push it back in twice to scoop out more ash.I went two weeks last cycle and it was all white powder. Usually I shoot for 9 days.

I don't think it hurts the site flow. If you shine a flashlight up there with the ash pan out, you can see where the air comes out from the back. Occasionally I use a garden hoe to clean out the very back of the ash channel. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN
Pages: 1 2 [3]