Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Front door leak  (Read 13370 times)

Curado74

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: Mf5000
    • View Profile
Re: Front door leak
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 08:28:53 AM »

Have a mf5000 and heating 3500 sq foot house.  I have the diff at 12 degrees.  Should I tighten the diff up to 5 so it fires more often.  Now that it is cold it has been calling for more heat, but still have issue..  Going to put dry wood in and see.  If fixes problem then will mix wood until out of pithy wood.  Will that pithy wood carry more water content?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »

Yes, pithy or punky wood will absorb more water than there areBTU's left in the wood
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Curado

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »

switched to seasoned wood the past 4 days.  drip has decreased some, but still more then I thought I would have (down to 1/2 gallon a day).  has been teens at night and 20-30's in the days.  had an ice dagger hanging off my ash pan handle last night that was 10-12 inches long.  dripped from the door down on the ash handle and froze.  going to move the wood to the front of the stove and seeing if that makes a difference.  I have been putting wood to the back.  where do you all burn your wood (front or back?).

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 11:30:08 AM »

I put mine in a triangle stack as you are looking into the stove.  The base is the entire length from front to back.  I've noticed that the flame intensity moves from back to front as the ash pan fills up.  Don't know why, it just does.

I am in season 2 with my HM.  I've said it before, I don't think you're going to get rid of this drip.  The ash pan sticks out the front of the stove and is by far the coldest part of your stove.  It is going to cause condensation.  I have an ice mound or black puddle under my ash pan all winter.  I don't see what the bid deal is.  If you are trying to keep your pad "clean", forget about it.  At the end of the season, you'll have ash dust, bark, wood chips, soot, the front of your stove will be black and the stickers won't be recognizable.  Trust me, I am an obsessive perfectionist and I too was upset of this black water "messing up" the appearance of my stove.  I'm over it.  It's a part of it.  Burning wood is dirty.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Curado

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »

countryboyJohn,
I really don't care if there is a drip or if I have dirty concrete.  I  just wanted to make sure that this is normal and I"m not letting something go that could have any negative effect on the longevity of the stove.  I appreciate all the information and education.  as long as I know it is working properly then I'm happy.  the stove is a monster and it is making the wife happy.  at the end of the day isn't that all that matters :) 

justinb

• OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 03:12:46 PM »

I'm in my first year with my Heatmaster as well, and my ash pan also leaks a bit.  I have a small ice mound below my door.  I'm also unsure where is the best location to put wood in my stove, but I can say that the last few nights I've been filling it to the brim.  These stoves really hold a lot of wood when you fill them.  I need to cut a lot more wood. 
Stihl 251
Stihl 461

Lineman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »

Was burning junk wood with warmer temps, set 2 gal pail under ash door was getting gal of black water per week, now that temps dropped 11 degrees this am and burning good seasoned wood not a drop in this last week stove burning hotter and better wood eliminated drip problem for me

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »

countryboyJohn,
I really don't care if there is a drip or if I have dirty concrete.  I  just wanted to make sure that this is normal and I"m not letting something go that could have any negative effect on the longevity of the stove.  I appreciate all the information and education.  as long as I know it is working properly then I'm happy.  the stove is a monster and it is making the wife happy.  at the end of the day isn't that all that matters :)

Sounds good! It just seemed like there were a lot of guys complaining about it. Your stove is fine! Happy burning!

Mr. justinb, I figure our stove can hold half a truckload in one filling when filled completely!  They are massive!  When you fill to the brim, does that take you to 12 hours or longer? I have 14 chords and 3/4 ton if coal ready to go!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

justinb

• OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »

I loaded it at 8pm, and checked on it at 7am.  Level of wood was below the door.  I definitely could've gotten a few more hours out of it, but I loaded it back up again before I went to work.  I didn't know what to expect with the 7 degree temp and 20 mph winds last night.  I don't know what I'm going to do when I start heating my 4 car garage.  Lots more wood.....
Stihl 251
Stihl 461

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »

Justin, I'm with you on that! I'm burning 15% moisture locust right now.  I haven't hooked my garage up to mine yet but I'm wondering if I'll achieve any 12 hour burns when I do.  My house is 1500 sq ft and I'm working on finishing up a 420 sq ft addition.  My garage is 1600 sqft.  It's going to be pushing it! I'm only getting around 10 hour burns with nearly a plum full load.  However, I do have two walls that aren't insulated and I'm losing a lot of heat out of my makeshift osb door that goes into the new room and it's located in the same room as my thermostat.  I'm sure that doesn't help.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 05:33:56 AM »

Justin, you are going to go through a TON of wood!  I'm at 3,000 sft of terrible insulation, DHW, and a hot tub.  I have my garage heater done, but I flipped the switch and it didn't run.  HVAC guy coming out soon.  When the temps are below freezing all day, I'll get 12 hours on 3/4 load of cherry.  I'm sure I could get by with closer to 1/2 a load when I get to burning my hedge! 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »

If you hit it right it should drip.

Homerglide

• OWF Brand: Orlan EKO
  • OWF Model: Out in the shop - Model 25 gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »

Will that pithy wood carry more water content?
Don't know how large your firebox is, but if you load 100 pounds of wood at 25% moisture content, you are putting 3 gallons of water in the firebox. If you load 100 pounds of wood at 35% moisture, there will be 4 gallons of water in the firebox. If any part of the boiler is less than 135 degrees, there will be condensation on the cool surface. While the stove is idling, the moisture is not being forced out the stack and is clinging to the cool surface.
Coupla Chainsaws
Axe
Strong OLD Back
2000 Dodge Cummins

Curado

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »

homerglide,
that makes sense.  I was using better wood in the past two weeks when it was much colder and the drip decreased but did not stop.  less then a cup a day.  got warmer this past week and I'm back into some bad wood and the drip has increased greatly.  So, lesson is thus................1. colder temps will burn more wood and decrease drip.  2. seasoned wood will decrease drip  3. some kind of drip is expected unless conditions and wood are perfect.  Like everyone on this forum has said again and again "there is a learning curve" with the OWB. 
positive note.........i'm almost through with the junky old wood and have 10 cord of seasoned oak waiting.  just could not bring myself to throw out wood no matter its condition.

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »

Is your stove sitting level?  Could it be that all of your moisture is condesing and then running to the front of the stove? 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter
Pages: 1 [2] 3