Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Black creosote Water All Over The Place  (Read 5238 times)

cartod

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000e
    • View Profile
Black creosote Water All Over The Place
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »

OWB is fired up and chugging along nicely.  My question is what do you do about all of the moisture in the firebox dripping out the ash pan on to the slab?

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Re: Black creosote Water All Over The Place
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »

What you are describing isn't creosote.  It's condensation. 

Turn the temp up on your stove.  When it get's cold, I run 185 with a 12-15 swing.  There will likely always be some dripping.  It's normal on most stoves.  It's just the nature of having a door.  The ash pan is the coldest part of your stove and is inevitably going to condensate some. 

Also, since you just fired it up, there is a large "sweat" phase during the initial firing when you get in the 130-150 range.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

cartod

• OWF Model: 10,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:56:32 AM »

Thank you.

Curado

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have had the same issue.  had the dealer adjust the door and I have continued to have water drip.  I emptied the ash pan last night and there was a considerable (a cup or so) of water that came out when I pulled the ash pan out.  ashes where damp and clumped.  I'm running 185 with 12 degree swing.  It is in the high teens at night and 30's during the day so the furnace is running hot enough I thought it would stop.  I have a buddy that has the same model in the same town as me and has no issues.  Love the heat and wood consumption.............hate the black oil i'm catching in a bucket in front.

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 01:25:19 PM »

Is your furnace water level holding steady?

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »

It also has to do with the amount if moisture in your firewood. The wetter the wood, the more dripping. Last year I really didn't have much unless I was burning green oak. I have cherry this year and I seem to constantly have a puddle in the front of my ash pan.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »

From my experience a dripping door usually indicates wet wood. Get yourself a moisture meter and check what your burning. Under 25% you shouldn't see near as much condensation.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

oaky

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL-2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »

Even the smallest air leak around the ash door seal can easily cause condensation, especially in colder weather. Light a short strip of stick, let it burn a moment, blow the flame out, place the smoking stick around the ash door seal, if any smoke is drawn in, the door needs more pressure against the door seal or gasket replaced.
Husqvarna 272
Husqvarna 55
27 Ton Cub Cadet Log Splitter
John Deere 826D Walk-Behind Snowblower
Always A Good Pile Of Oak Firewood
Home is: West Central Wisconsin

Maxnchej

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 07:13:02 AM »

Hi I have a new PM bl2840 and I have the same issue. First thought that it was since it was new and warm outside but still happening a bit. Now going to increase my team from 185 to up to 190 with a dff of 10 to see what happens. My new cement is black and doesn't look nice at all. Going to do my first clean out in the next few hours. I'll report what my ashes look like.

Curado74

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Mf5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 08:22:44 AM »

How do you tighten the ash door in a heatmaster 5000?   It does not appear to have moveable bolts to tighten it up.

oaky

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL-2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 08:44:33 AM »

Hi I have a new PM bl2840 and I have the same issue. First thought that it was since it was new and warm outside but still happening a bit. Now going to increase my team from 185 to up to 190 with a dff of 10 to see what happens. My new cement is black and doesn't look nice at all. Going to do my first clean out in the next few hours. I'll report what my ashes look like.

At first, my refractory concrete was black sometimes, streams of creosote running down the concrete, since I upped my temps, on @180/off @190, my concrete now has a grayish/brown fine dust which I'm sure means ideal conditions. Burning only well seasoned oak & some hard maple. This is my first season with my BL-2840 also.
Husqvarna 272
Husqvarna 55
27 Ton Cub Cadet Log Splitter
John Deere 826D Walk-Behind Snowblower
Always A Good Pile Of Oak Firewood
Home is: West Central Wisconsin

Maxnchej

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 07:08:22 PM »

At first, my refractory concrete was black sometimes, streams of creosote running down the concrete, since I upped my temps, on @180/off @190, my concrete now has a grayish/brown fine dust which I'm sure means ideal conditions. Burning only well seasoned oak & some hard maple. This is my first season with my BL-2840 also.

I cleaned out my ashes on Saturday and didn't any that many, about half a ask bucket full, was expecting much more. The ashes were all dry and they where fine like you also indicated. I have the boiler running at 190 with a diff of 10 and I no longer have any black creosote coming out. I think I was running it two low before at 175.

My bl2840 likes to run hot and I have noticed a decrease in the creosote inside the burn camber as well, so all is good.

To be safe I put a cookie sheet under the ash door in-case I get more drippings.

Uponthehill

• OWF Brand: PM 2840 w/ Logstor
  • OWF Model: 250 & 461 Stihl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »

Maxnchej.
Glad to see yours reduced.   Mine is essentially gone as well.  The higher elevated temps with a 10 degree diff helps with the hot burns.  I believe it's not so much a HOT burn as it is a L O N G E R burn time....
Central Kentucky wood burner !