Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Question for Skid Steer Owners  (Read 12284 times)

crankshaftdan II

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 400CSS
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Skid Steer Owners
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 04:38:59 AM »

Just a newbie innocent bystander here--don't have my OWB in operation yet--considering a skid-steer purchase down the road and was wondering what the maintenance costs are on WHEEL units vs the TRACKED units as the ones with the original rollers etc.???   I have seen a lot of used over the wheel types rubber tracks that can be fitted over a wheel unit-looks to elevate the machine up for ground clearance-adds some dirt/sand/poo goo to the tire area/wheels etc. on the other hand the regular tracked machines that I see used on CL can already have the rollers/brngs/sprockets replaced with 600 hours.  Seems to me the tracked machines are at a premium to purchase up front and require more $$ for up-keep costs, but is the most desired machine due to the added traction and other handling considerations.  If one purchases a unit and keeps the machine clean-whether it is wheeled/tracked and performs the required manintenance one should expect a return on that investment.  Just my two cents worth-hope that I am not confusing anything on the thread and not anyway related to the tractor/skid steer discussion.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 05:08:53 AM »

It's all what you need it to do and where you need it to go. Tracked machines are more maintenance but then again if you operate as recommended and are really the only one using it then it should last a long time. For instance keeping proper tension and avoid doing 180 degree type turns. What brand you choose is a whole different ball game.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

rt014

• Training Wheels
  • Essex County, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 07:16:14 AM »

Great feedback everyone. Really does depend on primary use.  For me it would need to be a 'do everything' machine.  And I also have over 70 acres and it has logging roads criss-crossing the whole thing.  It takes a while to get from one end to the other on a Rhino so using something like a tracked skid steer would be really slow.  If I can't have both, I think I'm leaning to the tractor for now as it gives both more flexibility and higher ground speed.

If someday, I do some serious logging (selling saw logs), I can see a skid steer really doing the trick.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 07:26:56 AM »

Great feedback everyone. Really does depend on primary use.  For me it would need to be a 'do everything' machine.  And I also have over 70 acres and it has logging roads criss-crossing the whole thing.  It takes a while to get from one end to the other on a Rhino so using something like a tracked skid steer would be really slow.  If I can't have both, I think I'm leaning to the tractor for now as it gives both more flexibility and higher ground speed.

If someday, I do some serious logging (selling saw logs), I can see a skid steer really doing the trick.

Some do offer a two speed option, but yah I hear yah, skids are much slower than a good tractor but do offer more safety with their lower center of gravity and ROPS.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tawilson1152

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 07:29:40 AM »

Going back to the op's situation. You said transporting after getting the logs out of the woods is your bottleneck. Would maybe a dump trailer be a better investment for you? It's a big timesaver for me. I would never try to talk someone out of getting a piece of equipment, I'm just throwing some options out there for you.

justinb

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »

Going back to the op's situation. You said transporting after getting the logs out of the woods is your bottleneck. Would maybe a dump trailer be a better investment for you? It's a big timesaver for me. I would never try to talk someone out of getting a piece of equipment, I'm just throwing some options out there for you.

Yes, I have thought about keeping my tractor and getting a dump trailer.  So many options for me.  Right now I'm leaning towards skid steer.  I like the idea of cutting large chunks of tree and using the grapple to get them out of the woods.  My tractor struggles to drag large trunks so I end up bucking them, and either dragging out smaller pieces or hand loading them into my small bucket.   In a perfect world, a skid steer and dump trailer would do the trick. 
Stihl 251
Stihl 461

Log hog

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 05:02:32 AM »

Well I can't answer the question of tractor or bobcat. I have both and use both. I have a Bobcat s650 with root grapple and I love it. Most often I cut logs in the woods to 8 foot long then pick up as much as the grapple will hold and drive down the trail. I don't like skidding them, picks up to much crap on logs. I also pick up 8 foot logs and place them right in front of the burner, cut and toss in,  less handling.

I love my tractors too but down side is you can't see the bucket or quick attach.  And need larger room to maneuver.  I can do way more log handling with the skid steer than I ever could with a tractor. But for the jobs my tractors do I couldn't use a skid. Sooooooo buy them both. It's only money, they will print more.   :photo: ;D
Bobcat S650 with root grapple
New. Holland tractors
Stihl 029&250
Husky 570

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 06:18:38 PM »

Well I can't answer the question of tractor or bobcat. I have both and use both. I have a Bobcat s650 with root grapple and I love it. Most often I cut logs in the woods to 8 foot long then pick up as much as the grapple will hold and drive down the trail. I don't like skidding them, picks up to much crap on logs. I also pick up 8 foot logs and place them right in front of the burner, cut and toss in,  less handling.

I love my tractors too but down side is you can't see the bucket or quick attach.  And need larger room to maneuver.  I can do way more log handling with the skid steer than I ever could with a tractor. But for the jobs my tractors do I couldn't use a skid. Sooooooo buy them both. It's only money, they will print more.   :photo: ;D

X2
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 03:19:02 AM »

X3, great post log hog, I tell my wife that all the time, an old friend of mine that served his country well in Vietnam x3 and then got screwed with MS used to tell me " the guy that dies with the most bills wins"
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 04:11:04 PM »

I could use one with a grapple.
Husky 372xp 24"
Makita DCS520i 20"
Poulan 2300 18"
Macullough Eager Beaver 2.3 18"
Troybilt 27 ton log splitter

aries9245

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Cl6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »

I think they both hv use for different things.. I wouldn't do with out either one..
Joe
Dodge 5500 dump
Ford f450 dump
Cat 303cr excavator
Cat 246 skid steer
Kubota l4610 tractor
2 sthil farm boss saws
Homemade 4way splitter w/log lift ( the terminator)
Pages: 1 2 [3]