Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heating costs expected to go up  (Read 2023 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Heating costs expected to go up
« on: November 01, 2017, 03:55:37 AM »

I saw this on another site I visit.

"According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, natural gas expenditures are expected to rise by 12 percent, home heating oil by 17 percent, electricity by 8 percent and propane by 18 percent. Most of the increase is attributed to colder weather, rather than higher energy costs".

I guess time will tell if it does go up.  But, I'm glad I burn wood.  :)

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
Re: Heating costs expected to go up
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »

Our hydro costs are going to jump some more (currently highest in north America) but that is because of our politicians, not energy costs....
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »

Heating oil has been trending up for the past couple years.  It is not near its peak, but it is certainly moving that way.  Natural gas, while also trending up, is still very cheap.  I am also glad I burn wood, but now I have to leave the World Series for a minute and go and toss some sticks into the boiler. 
Muskoka, Ont

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 05:44:53 AM »

The reason I went to an outside wood burner was because propane was 5 dollars a gallon here in Wisconsin at one point.  The propane companies were not honoring their contracts because they would go broke and so would I.  For almost the same price to fill the propane tank I bought a boiler instead and left it almost empty.  Now I got switched over to natural gas which is great and cheap but I always have a meter charge of 12 dollars no matter how much gas i use.  I’m glad I burn wood as well, my heat never changes expense.  I have my boiler dialed in really well, fill it before work and fill it after work and I never have to go back outside to refill.  Unless it is -30 with 30 mph winds then I may have to.  This has happened in the past too.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection