Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hardy Update  (Read 9199 times)

JOWEN

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
Hardy Update
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

Well I have been real happy so far with my H5. I have been getting some good burn times between 12 and 18 hrs on a full load. It has been mild weather here in SC with lows in the thirtys and highs in the sixtys. Here is a link to the first burn in her on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aYUsJP3kL8
stihl ms291
stihl ms391
Kubota M9000
Kubota M4800
Case 850C
Silverado 1500
Silverado 2500
1860 Federal Style Farm House
Newberry SC

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy Update
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 11:42:46 AM »

Good to hear that you are up and running. Is this your first owb? Just a suggestion about loading. You will find that you will want to load just enough wood to get you to your next time that you are planning to load. You will burn much less wood this way. This time of year I would guess that a fire box 1/3 full should get you 12 hours. You will get a good handle on what temp needs what amount of wood pretty quick.

JOWEN

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »

Yes this is my first OWB im heating an old federal style 3000 sq ft farm house with poor insulation. Last winter I spent around 4000 buck in electric bills for a cold house. I would rather just cut wood :thumbup:
stihl ms291
stihl ms391
Kubota M9000
Kubota M4800
Case 850C
Silverado 1500
Silverado 2500
Newberry SC

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:58:41 PM »

I have a 2600 sqft center chimney colonial built in 1795. Insulation is getting better as I go.

walkerdogman85

• OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »

You'll be extremely happy with it! I really like mine and wish I would have soon it sooner.. They are a simple design which in turn means simple to work on...
Michael West
Central Ohio

JOWEN

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »

Well I got my first power bill last week and it was great.Last November I avarged 81 kw hours a day and this month I avarged32 kw hours. Bill was 120 bucks. The co-op will be sad from here on out.
stihl ms291
stihl ms391
Kubota M9000
Kubota M4800
Case 850C
Silverado 1500
Silverado 2500
Newberry SC

uncle Dave

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 180
  • wood is the only way to get warm!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »

Just for fun have them come and read the meter again, they may be using an estimated calculation. My first season the nat gas company kept sending estimated bills as usual, I finally had to go there in person and explain it to them.
Hardy H4, first fire 11/06,  26 ton spliter, Stihl MS290, Stihl 029 17acre hillside wood lot, locust,hickory, ash, maple, deer, coyotes.

D2082

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: H25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 11:13:29 AM »

JOWEN - just curious how that stove is working?  Been awhile since you posted it looks like.  I'm getting ready to join you as a new Hardy owner.  How have the power bills been?

Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »

D2082. I read you are a new Hardy owner. Welcome to the site. I've learned a ton from the fellas on here.  you made a good decision to run with the hardy.  As you will find out from reading here ALL mfg's seem to have issues pop up from time to time. I have had a couple myself but as each season passes you will learn how to get things fine tuned and learn what not to do.  The only time I get nervous is when I have to leave town and have someone else take care of MY stove.  It will become such a big part of what you do and you become very attached. I would think others would agree with me. Anyway, if you have questions post it and someone will be around to offer help!  Happy burnin'!
Aitkin, Minnesota

D2082

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 08:46:20 PM »

Thanks Brad I appreciate that.  I'm actually anxious to get to work building up my wood supply. My wife is already dreading me being out of town for work! And as you said, I've got this money tied up in it and I'm not real excited about anyone touching it (even her...) thanks again and I've already learned a lot just by reading these threads. 

JOWEN

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:16:20 AM »

D2082 cograts on your hardy. First off let me start off by saying my house has a lot of heat loss. My power bills were the main reason why I bought the hardy. Before the hardy I used around 100 kwatt hours a day. Now I use 35 to 40 kwatts a day. My electric bill has been no more than 125 bucks. I have burned thru around 4 chords of wood. I live in the middle of SC so its not that cold here. I wouldn't make it north of the Mason Dixon line. I don't mind cutting wood but I do have a lot of projects on the farm and with this old house so I'm going to try to get a head of the wood this summer. I would not change a thing if I had to do it over again. Best 8 grand I ever spent.
I did the install my self the hardest part was wiring the heat pump up to a new t stat and taking the fan control wiring and isolating the heat pump wiring. I went out and bought a basic 24 vac relay and wired it just like hardy says and it worked great. The folks on here will help you as well. I used alpex with the pipe insulation inside a 4 inch corrugated pipe. I don't know how great that is its hard to get my heat loss readings on that alpex. I want to get some temp gauges on there and see what that looks like
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:29:49 AM by JOWEN »
stihl ms291
stihl ms391
Kubota M9000
Kubota M4800
Case 850C
Silverado 1500
Silverado 2500
Newberry SC

D2082

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »

JOWEN thanks man.  I'm excited about getting this thing put in.  It's prob going to be mid march before the install (we're building a house).  I've researched this thing to death an do know they aren't perfect but I like the idea and the dealer being down the street in case I need something only helps.   Where you at in SC?  Liked your YouTube video too.  I'll prob post one of my initial burning too. 

JO42281

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 05:46:26 PM »

I live in Newberry little agri town off I-26. I have 20 hardy furnaces within 15 minutes of me. My dealer has installed all of them a couple of them have been running for 20 plus years. Thats what sold me on them. Im sure that there are more efficent furnaces out there but i dont think you will find a simpler one out there. Mine has had a fire in it since that video. My dealer is a good guy but I didnt see paying him the extra to do the install when i can do all that stuff myself, thanks to the research i did on this website. Good luck to you and if you need anything just hollar.
Kubota 9000
Kubota 6800
Case 850
Silverado 2500
Silverado 1500
Ford F-250
Stihl ms290
Stihl ms362
Piedmont SC

D2082

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 07:52:36 PM »

Have actually been to Newberry once - stopped on my way back home from Augusta GA. Was the 1st Zaxby's I had ever eaten. Was pretty good!   Post another video of that Hardy on YouTube soon. 

JOWEN

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »

The Zaxbys I'm not a big fan of it should have eaten at MIGs right across the street pretty good home made pizza. Where are you from?? I bet you had some good food in Augusta.
stihl ms291
stihl ms391
Kubota M9000
Kubota M4800
Case 850C
Silverado 1500
Silverado 2500
Newberry SC
Pages: [1] 2