Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: HE-1100 OWNERS..  (Read 6970 times)

Up-hawk

• OWF Brand: HAWKEN
  • OWF Model: He 1100
    • View Profile
HE-1100 OWNERS..
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »

Good day all,  I installed an HE-1100 June 2015. She's been up and running 2.5 months now and I must say I'm throughly pleased. 

So to my fellow owners what are your thoughts of the OWB and maybe some good and bads that you have had to deal with??
Moran MI.

Hawken HE-1100
O28 stihl
016 stihl
032 Stihl

20 ton log splitter

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
Re: HE-1100 OWNERS..
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:41 AM »

This is my 9th season with my he1000. I have had very good luck with it. I like the simplicity of it. I send in a water sample once a year. I throw wood in it twice a day. I wish it had a low temp shut down that would turn off the fan when the water temp gets too low. Other than that, I can't complain.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »

RSI was working on a fit all kit for just that purpose, maybe send him a PM and see how he’s coming on it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Radio Tech 1964

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hawken Energy
  • OWF Model: HE-1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »

I have the same OWB and it does just fine in warm to moderately cold weather but when the temps dip in the teens and single digits I can't keep thing above 140° to save me. Dry wood is a premium here in my part of VA since it rains every other day it seems but what I'm using is dry locust,may have a little dry snow on it but I can knock most of that off before loading in the stove.

I've tried everything I can think of except soaking the wood in fuel oil :)

I'm open for any ideas :) It heats my house perfectly when I can keep fire in the thing! Seem like I close the door and it smothers but there is plenty of smoke out the stack so I don't think there is a restriction..and it also runs year round to heat my water.

Thanks!
Wayne

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »

Make sure the fan air restricter slide is open.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:38:30 AM by woodman »

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:51:21 PM »

I have the same OWB and it does just fine in warm to moderately cold weather but when the temps dip in the teens and single digits I can't keep thing above 140° to save me. Dry wood is a premium here in my part of VA since it rains every other day it seems but what I'm using is dry locust,may have a little dry snow on it but I can knock most of that off before loading in the stove.

I've tried everything I can think of except soaking the wood in fuel oil :)

I'm open for any ideas :) It heats my house perfectly when I can keep fire in the thing! Seem like I close the door and it smothers but there is plenty of smoke out the stack so I don't think there is a restriction..and it also runs year round to heat my water.

Thanks!
Wayne

Where you located? Sounds like your losing heat in your supply / return lines or your stove is undersized. I have a 2100 and get damn near 24 hour burn times heating 4000 sq ft burning seasoned mixed soft wood...pine, cotton wood, and whatever else the tree company doesn't want. Keep your temps up or you will rot your stove from the firebox out! Trust me I know, I did it to a perfectly fine wood doctor.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 04:45:31 PM by Roscoe »
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

Radio Tech1964

• Stihl MS 250 John Deere CS 36 2013
    • View Profile
    • Weather Info
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 02:46:12 PM »

Still thrashing along with this thing.. I cleaned all the ashes again today and had a couple of level wheel barrows full. Not too bad for 4+ months of running. I think the biggest problem is the wood being damp. I've looked and called all around my part of VA and nobody can guarantee the wood is dry. It seems it rains damn near every day!

I really went crazy and soaked the wood I loaded it with this time with some old #2 fuel oil and left it a while before trying to fire it.
It would light off just fine and things would be going good and I'd close the door and it would go out..did that twice! I finally had to nurse it along with the door cracked and finally got it hot.. kinda acts like too much combustion air almost!

One thing for certain as you stated it's gotta be above 140° or it's a quick death!   Once the firebox is hot it will seem to burn fine so I'm leaning toward sorry wood at the moment unless someone has an idea that we've overlooked  :thumbup:

Thanks very much for all the ideas and replies!

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 04:52:06 PM »

Seems your going to have to load your stove more often to keep it from going out until you figure out your problem. You should have no problem burning some wet wood as long as you have something going in the firebox.
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

Radio Tech1964

• Stihl MS 250 John Deere CS 36 2013
    • View Profile
    • Weather Info
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 11:44:18 PM »

Think you hit the nail on the head! Just for grins I went to the local supermarket and bought a few of those packaged kiln dried firewood and the stove has done fine with that,although it hasn't been as cold I do believe it will do great will some good wood. If the weather would dry up enough I have a location to cut a couple of dead standing trees that would take care of me for awhile..just can't get in there by vehicle to do anything!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions !   Very relieved to get things back like they should be!

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »

You can usually find some pallets around that r free. Cut them up and mix them in with your wood. Keep the stove hot to prevent the pyrolytic gasses from forming in the stack. Protection from sustained clue gas condinsation is critical for longjevity of any furnace. You should run the backup if the water temp is below 140 degF. For a short term fix.  Or have a thermostatic mixing valve (boiler protection) installed.
Also,Get yourself a moisture meter. 20% or less is great. 
  Best regards. Stay warm.
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

outdoorboilercare

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Hawken Energy Furnace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »

Still thrashing along with this thing.. I cleaned all the ashes again today and had a couple of level wheel barrows full. Not too bad for 4+ months of running. I think the biggest problem is the wood being damp. I've looked and called all around my part of VA and nobody can guarantee the wood is dry. It seems it rains damn near every day!

I really went crazy and soaked the wood I loaded it with this time with some old #2 fuel oil and left it a while before trying to fire it.
It would light off just fine and things would be going good and I'd close the door and it would go out..did that twice! I finally had to nurse it along with the door cracked and finally got it hot.. kinda acts like too much combustion air almost!

One thing for certain as you stated it's gotta be above 140° or it's a quick death!   Once the firebox is hot it will seem to burn fine so I'm leaning toward sorry wood at the moment unless someone has an idea that we've overlooked  :thumbup:

Thanks very much for all the ideas and replies!

Hi RadioTech1964

For more info:

http://us11.campaign-archive2.com/?u=69c66882e2d5050c2f0fd0420&id=468da9ce28&e=459eef2cc1

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »

You can usually find some pallets around that r free. Cut them up and mix them in with your wood. Keep the stove hot to prevent the pyrolytic gasses from forming in the stack. Protection from sustained clue gas condinsation is critical for longjevity of any furnace. You should run the backup if the water temp is below 140 degF. For a short term fix.  Or have a thermostatic mixing valve (boiler protection) installed.
Also,Get yourself a moisture meter. 20% or less is great. 
  Best regards. Stay warm.

I know this post is kind of old but 20% is almost too dry for me. Burns like a matchstick, plus on the other hand it takes way too long to dry or wood that dry around here. 30% is what I shoot for!  Had some oak sitting for 20 months in the wood shed, tested at 26%
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection