Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Earth outdoor furnace info  (Read 12819 times)

bajonesy77

• OWF Brand: Prosteel
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile
Earth outdoor furnace info
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »

The btu's on the web page are max so wanting some real world info. How many sqft. are you heating, whats your location, which stove, dhw, etc.... I really like how simple they are and the price just looking for owners results. Thanks, Jonesy
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar
McCullough timber bear 20" bar

candyman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 505
    • View Profile
Re: Earth outdoor furnace info
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:13:25 AM »

jonesy,

we have the mountain man 505 unit to heat home 3300 sq. ft. & pole barn 3500 sq. ft. also d h w for both, furnace is not hooked up yet still in the barn, if it quits raining long enough i`ll dig the trench & install it out by the barn.

i looked at the 500 but did not like the grate took up to much room & the loading door is smaller. we got the 505 more btu much bigger door & fire box.

i am going to put the pex piping i bought from earth in 6" sewer & drain pipe & bury it if i ever have any piping trouble i do not have to dig up the whole line to replace it.

our unit will be about  150' from the house.
cm
http.www.earthwoodfurnace.com/
Mountain man 505

dealer for earth outdoor wood furnaces
Ohio

bajonesy77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:18:32 AM »

I will be heating a 2000sqft log home and 600sqft of the basement and dhw for a family of 4, unit will be 100ft from home. Im going to email earth and see what they say for sizing. Candyman, how is their pex piping as far as the insulation? And I agree with you on the ash pan models, I will just shovel the ash out that large door!
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »

Bajonesy, get the 365.  That will do the job for you.  As far as the piping Im not sure what they sell.  I'll be selling earth brand this coming season but have no intentions on using there pipe.  I will stick with my eze silver white package and maybe order some from badger, but I find it better even as a dealer to never go through the company for anything besides the stove
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »

jonesy,

we have the mountain man 505 unit to heat home 3300 sq. ft. & pole barn 3500 sq. ft. also d h w for both, furnace is not hooked up yet still in the barn, if it quits raining long enough i`ll dig the trench & install it out by the barn.

i looked at the 500 but did not like the grate took up to much room & the loading door is smaller. we got the 505 more btu much bigger door & fire box.

i am going to put the pex piping i bought from earth in 6" sewer & drain pipe & bury it if i ever have any piping trouble i do not have to dig up the whole line to replace it.

our unit will be about  150' from the house.
cm

Curiouse if that works.  That pipe is so riged I would not think you could pull it out!  At least mine was; it did about a 3' radius and that's it.

candyman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 505
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:49:19 PM »

let me make this perfectly clear.  {  who said that. }?    anyway i am not pushing   earth  even through i am a dealer here in ohio.

i bought 250' of there 4 in one pipe it is insulated ok, but not great. one of the reasons i`m putting it in  s& d pipe is that it is very  ridgid moreso in colder weather & yes if there  is a problem i will be able to pull it ou & put in new.

there is  better insulated piping on the market, but this will work for me. i have a high water table on the farm & the 6" pipe will keep the insulated pipe dry.

water table is really something to think about.  you have to run power to your unit & if the wire is not in the piping you have to bury it in the trench something else to go bad..
\
candyman
http.www.earthwoodfurnace.com/
Mountain man 505

dealer for earth outdoor wood furnaces
Ohio

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 08:48:18 PM »

I do recommend you not get the 4 line piping and do the domestic water the modern way with a 20 plate heat exchanger
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

bajonesy77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »

I will be doing a 20 plate and well insulated 2 line 1" pex setup. Will have it go thru water to air heat exchanger first then to plate for dhw. Guess I will have to add a 3/4" pex line for the water fill.
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »

Bajonesy, it must go through the 20 plate first and then onto the coil in your furnace. 
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »

bajonessy77- I would recommend if you add a supply line it's on the return line back to your OWF.

Scott7m- (how can I say this  :-\  ) Some us of have had great success by routing our heating system through the Furnace exchanger first. In my case I don't even have to put a tempering valve on my HWH outlet. Please explain why you must go through your DHWX first.  (Smile it's only a question, not criticizing) You know I love ya!

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »

Well,   The plate exchanger as you have seen can pull off more heat than the coil.  Now that being said, it's much easier to get your water to what you need it to be with hotter water, vs, heating your home.  You can heat your home with 120 degree water for example your fan just runs longer.  However you can't get your domestic water hot enough with 120 degree water.  Of course these are only examples.   But having it before ensures your water is always hot and it doesn't affect the heat in the home p, your fan just might run a minute longer or something if your using dhw at the time..

Let's also keep in mind ridge your running your stove much hotter than a lot of folks.  In just came from a customers house who had his stove set on 125 lol. But anyways, the affects for you are much less at 185 vs someone at 150. 

As far as not needing your tempering valve, I dont feel that has anything to do with your coil being first.  The only time it would affect it was when the fan and dhw were both being used at the same time.  If you were to develop a small leak in your ot water domestic lines somewhere and it let it trickle your dhw could still potentially go to 180, the small leak would allow the water to enter slowly enough to equalize with the temp of furnace water.   All be it a rare case, it is possible... 
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Ridgekid

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »

Yes, you are correct, per manufacturer recommendation I operate at 185*.  ( I hope you gave that customer operating at 125* some recommendations, geez that's cold)

As far as what to heat first, my home takes priority. That's more important than the wife's hot baths (just don't tell her I said that)

Thanks for your input!

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »

Ridge,
   I'm tellin' her! Remember,I have your address now, and I know how to use the postal service >:D

Marty

Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Ridgekid

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »

Marty. Save your stamp. I fessed up.  Guess who's sleeping on the couch?? 

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »

I would definatley recommend the plate exchanger first.  You want very consistant heat to that or your hot water is going to be all over the place and it will be uncomfortable, especially ina shower!  Your house will not really notice the difference, typically you do not run hot water for extended amounts of time.
Pages: [1] 2