Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: pump runs but not moving water  (Read 3255 times)

pops69

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
pump runs but not moving water
« on: October 31, 2019, 03:18:54 AM »

I have a 28-40, turned pump on a couple of days ago, pump got hot, put a new pump on still not moving water. I have my DHW bypassed and just running heat exchanger. I sent a water sample in, Portage & Main said drain 30% of water and fill with distilled water, I did that. Can't figure why no water moving pressure gage not moving at all. Not sure if there is air in the lines some where or what else it could be. Any ideas?

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: pump runs but not moving water
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »

air in line. You still using 010 taco? That's a low head pump. If you want to stick with taco get you a 011 and your problem will get solved.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

pops69

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »

Thanks shepherd boy, is there a better pump than a TACO? Thought might have calcium or sediment in heat exchanger. Also pump is in the basement, been working since 2014. Is there a way to purge the line with water?
Thanks again

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »

If you have a drain valve in the house after the pump, open it and let water flow. You should hear the pump start churning once water gets to it.
If that doesn't work, close the return valve and try again.

If you don't have a drain valve, loosen the pump flange on the output side of the pump withough shutting the valves to let some water out. That usually will get the water flowing.

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »

Also, did you make sure the new pump was not installed backwards? There should be an arrow on the pump that needs to point the right way.

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 06:01:17 PM »

Grunfus 26-96 is another option. when installing a unit I would always put a fill valve in the house. Then all you need to do is open the fill valve and close one valve on the furnace and purge air on that side , then close it and on the other and purge that side and your low head pump would have no problem. Then I would use a nrf22 B&G or a 15-58 grunfus on your situation. Pull less amps and cheaper pump.

One thought on pump in house, you are pulling a vacuum on the incoming line and if you have 190 degree water it can boil in that vacuum and steam will cause premature pump failure as well as air lock your lines.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:16:48 PM by shepherd boy »
 Gettin' old and lazy

Super44

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Ultimizer BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »

Is the pump location above or below the boiler, or is it pulling or pushing the water?  Not sure I said that correctly??

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »

Noticed on an earlier post he had his pump in basement, Pump should be on stove and water pushed to house. pulling water even down hill will cause a vacuum and can boil water at a lower temp and cause pump failure and vaper lock. Going to a higher head pump will only aggravate the problem as it will increase the vacuum.
 Gettin' old and lazy

Super44

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Ultimizer BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »

My boiler sits higher than my work shop and house.  My pumps are in the shop and house, I assume this means less air bubbles being trapped because the bubbles will rise given time.  My house is the lowest and I have started the pump for a couple minutes and shut it off for a bit to let the bubbles rise.  I then re start the pump and I can hear that the bubbles have moved up and away to the boiler.  My pumps now run quiet for the rest of the heating season on the low setting with no issues.  May not be good for everyone but it seems to work for my set up.

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 03:30:35 AM »

If the boiler is higher than the pumps you can often get away with them bring partway around the loop (sited in the house sucking half the loop). The concern is the vacuum created pulling on the incoming line. It can cause cavitation. If it's working for you just keep in mind if the OWB boils it could flash to stream when the 200 degree water pulls into the piping and the pump could lock up trying to pull the vapor downhill to the house. May never be an issue, just something to keep in mind.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

pops69

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 04:03:57 AM »

Removed lines from my heat exchanger in the furnace, blew out lines everything working as it should now. Thanks for the help!