Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: insulating pex  (Read 7832 times)

Johnv656

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: insulating pex
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 07:33:44 AM »

That was my exact think on this Scott.

Thank you

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »

by grabbing the pex pipe where it leaves the stove and comparing that to grabbing the pipe where it enters the house you won't likely be able to tell a degree or two difference but i am willing to bet you would be able to tell 20 degrees

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

trz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »

There is nothing wrong with it then if both are giving you the same reading.  The water inside the line is likely exactly what it says it is.    You can't read water temp through lines.  You can try it n pex it will give you one temp, on copper another temp, on black pipe another temp. 

I have a strap on temp sensor that's insulated like crazy and it's always 10 degrees below actual temp, and ir guns are far less accurate

i'm going to do the same, take actuall water temps from the drain on the owb and at the filter in the house.

I'm not really sure what i'm hoping for cuz, i'm tryig to find out why my wood consumption is so great.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »

I'm not really sure what i'm hoping for cuz, i'm tryig to find out why my wood consumption is so great.

poorly insulated (or comprimised) underground pipes are a huge het draw, this is one of the biggest reasons for used wood consuption to dratically rise. This would be a good spot to start looking at why you are using so much more wood than last year. we all hope this is not the reason but it is still the first place to look
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

trz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »

well, actually this isn't a new problem. this is going into my fourth season and I've always used alot more wood than i expected.  So, the last few years i've been trying to button up my house some.
   Granted it's an old farm house about 1800 sq. ft. and ive been adding insulation and sealing everything i can find to seal, i'ts got 30 yr old Anderson windows that don't seem to be to bad.  probably only r 11 or 13 in the walls but r 40 in the attic Now.  upstairs is about 900 sq ft. and i try not to even heat that!  And i've always, even after doing all  the insulation and what not still using close to 20 cords of wood here in midwest michigan.   I kept thinking it was just the house needed more work but it never seemed to help so I thought maybe it was something to do with the furnace or water line.  Still am baffled. Other people in my area are only burnign 3 to 10  cords a season. of course some of those houses are newer and better built and insulated.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 03:36:12 PM »

20 cords is a lot but it could be that is what is needed (i thought this porblem just started,sorry)

do you have a winters heat bill from the last year you heated with other than wood?

if so you could figure out hhow many btu you used with that heater and compare it to how many btu you are now using.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

12vdzl

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 09:22:34 AM »

TRZ,

I have a hawken 2100 that been in operation for 6 years.  I have also had this boiler heating 2 houses (first house 4 years, 2nd 2 years) 

House #1 homebuilt underground lines, DHW, large 3k sqft old farm house.  I used 8-10 cords or wood with alot of variables (not-so-seasoned wood, heating DHW year round, underground lines etc.)  Overall I was OK with the amount of wood I used.

House #2.  2k sqft, not heating DHW, thermopex (70' run).  Last year I didn't touch a drop more than 4 cords.  This house seems to be well insulated although im heating the finished basement, with 3 walkout doors.

I am also located in MI, Marshall area.
Hawken 2100
Stihl fanatic

trz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 12:14:16 PM »

TRZ,

I have a hawken 2100 that been in operation for 6 years.  I have also had this boiler heating 2 houses (first house 4 years, 2nd 2 years) 

House #1 homebuilt underground lines, DHW, large 3k sqft old farm house.  I used 8-10 cords or wood with alot of variables (not-so-seasoned wood, heating DHW year round, underground lines etc.)  Overall I was OK with the amount of wood I used.

House #2.  2k sqft, not heating DHW, thermopex (70' run).  Last year I didn't touch a drop more than 4 cords.  This house seems to be well insulated although im heating the finished basement, with 3 walkout doors.

I am also located in MI, Marshall area.

Thanks 12.  and your point is???   If you're telling me i'm using alot of wood um.. i already know that.  lol

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »

today while working on my stove i took the time to check my own wter temps in teh delivery line. I drew water out into a jar (did this twice to make sure i was getting what i think is accurate info)

1 degree C less at the house (that is 1.8 F) 250 foot run one way with thermopex 7 gpm

7 gpm = 56 pounds x (heat loss) 1.8 = 100.8 btu loss per min x 60 min. = 6,048 btu loss per hour

that is not bad for 250 feet. wish i was closer to the house but the OWB is well out of the way

still got a bit of work to do on it but it is getting very close to completed

[attachment deleted by admin]
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: 1 [2]