Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: water to water HX confusion  (Read 5770 times)

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Royal(in process of putting it in pole barn)
    • View Profile
water to water HX confusion
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:53:54 AM »

Ok, little history first.

I built a room onto my pole barn that I put a pressurized Royall 6150 wood/coal boiler into( it has a 35 gal capacity and is rated at 150k BTU).  I ran 1" PexalPex with a gundfos 26-99 3 speed pump pushing the water 120' basically level to where it enters the basement.  The electric HW heater is located first then the oil boiler second. 

I have a 50 plate to hook into my existing oil boiler and a 20 plate for my domestic HW.  The HX are 1" MPT.

Ive read and read and read.  I like WillieG's idea of a header system for the 2 exchangers, but since I only have 2
"appliances" (and no need to have any more) would it be worth that? 

If i go series why would I want the DHW to be first, other than that it is located before the oil boiler?   

Thanks for the help.

Getting cold in west central Pa

Mike
Husky 353 w/20" bar

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: water to water HX confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:13:39 AM »

CAUTION!!!!   Think about what you are doing! if you have a power failure there is no way to dump the heat as heat in water will not flow down on its own, it needs to be driven by a circulator, this requires power. Any time that you lose power the boiler will overheat and pop the relief valves from overpressurizing, if the relief valves fail to open you have a bomb in your pole barn! You could put in radiation above the boiler in the pole barn with auto-mag zone valves that can dissipate the heat but that creates another problem with potential freeze up, battery backup with an inverter can solve the issue or a standby automatic generator but they both will require maintenance and can fail. I'm not really good on coal but the golden rule for pressurized wood boilers is that you need to be able to dump a minimum of 30% of the rated heat load of the boiler with no power on conventional wood boilers, ceramic lined or coal I would assume would be far higher. Remember one thing, a failure is never going to happen when you are standing next to the generator, you will either in bed or at work!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:30:25 AM »

As of right now I only plan to run the furnace on wood(large supply of locust). 

This furnace uses a draft blower to add air to be able to burn, no power no draft no burn....no problem?  I do have a back up genset that is wired in.
Husky 353 w/20" bar

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:21:18 AM »

There is still a bed of coals and a fire in the boiler that will continue to create heat, in other words the fire does not go completely out as with an oil or gas fired unit/ you will still need to dump heat, is your genset automatic and well maintained, just trying to keep you from making a bad mistake.

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:32:29 AM »

Well sorry to say too late, lol.

Hey, if for not anything else i'll be the example of what not to do, unfortunately this is what I have to work with and would appreciate any help with my original question in dealing with the heat exchangers.

Mike
Husky 353 w/20" bar

bajonesy77

• OWF Brand: Prosteel
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »

I chose to goto the water heater first so it was always the most consistent temperature. I have my 20 plate setup so it dumps  hot water into the water heater thus making the hwh a storage tank. If it went to the other exchanger first and it callex for heat I could possible lose some hot water and have to readjust while showering and when the furnace cut off could get burnt from the temp. Rise. I don't have a tempering valve and this system has worked percectly for my family.
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar
McCullough timber bear 20" bar

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »

doo-hickey, I'm not saying that I won't help, just use caution and set it up right, although I as well like to use a manifold I see no need for it in your case, the idea of going to your hot water first is to make it the priority, be sure to use an expansion tank that is rated for your system (gallons of water).

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:37:57 AM »

Yes, expansion tank is in place and pop off works, we verivied that when we pressurized the furnace before i bought it.

In the future I plan on pouring a pad in half of my pole barn and adding heat to the floor, so that will be my dump zone.  For right now I may look into some sort of option to put on that trunk line to get rid of excess heat if need be.

Mike
Husky 353 w/20" bar

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »

Heat in the floor is not a non powered dump zone, it requires power to send the water down

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »

I know there is a CHANCE that something could go wrong, been around coal/wood boilers for my whole life of 42 years on the farm and I can remember when the power would go out we would have to close the furnace up tight so it wouldnt draw a draft and then the pop off would go off and make a mess of things.

So the whole idea of a pressurized system is not new to me.

I have tried to plan for most of the situations that might happen because me and Murphy are best friends lol

Mike
Husky 353 w/20" bar

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »

just had a thought, i may be over thinking this but here goes: When plumbing my HX i need to have the flow of water enter 1 bottom port exit 1 top port before traveling onto the next HX, correct, I just cant T into the first HX for the feed and return correct?

Mike
Husky 353 w/20" bar

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »

Exactly, if you pulled both supplies off one main loop then you would always be sending water to the heat exchanger with the least resistance.

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »

I must be a little thick.  I did a little sketch but i'm not allowed to attach it.  dang IT

Could you possible do a little sketch or picture?

Thanks
Mike
Husky 353 w/20" bar

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »

i am no pump guy for sure so this rant is just that and maybe a pump guy cn explain it to me in a way i understand so here goes my wack way of thinking

your pump  with the pipe in its system can (just saying) pump 10 gpm at 20 feet of head

your system comes from the owb to a header with one line from it to your plate exchanger at the hot water tank (this line is getting 10 gpm at 20 feet of head)

you add a second line from teh header to the furnace exchanger that you figure if was on its own would only be 15 feet of head (but its not on its own)

so now (i am also thinking your pump is big enough) your pump still can pump 10 gpm at 20 feet of head so it does just that  it pumps up till it is pushing pressure to = 20 feet of head on both lines...the  shorter line will get more water but the long line will still get some too? the pressure will still be equal to 20 feet of head but velocity will change the longer line will recieve less and the shorter line will recieve more but both devices will recieve water

unless the shorter line was of such a large diameter that the pump could not build pressure against the the longer line will always recieve "some" water

a valve on the shorter line could be used to adjust equal head pressure on both lines that would ensure equal velocity on both lines(?) this would ensure the same gpm to each device (if that was desired)

i hope some one can explain this properly and cipher out what i think i am typing ..LOL
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:09:15 PM by willieG »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »

If I were doing it I would put them in series. If you go in parallel you will get a lot less GPM through each even though the total GPM will be a little higher. Put the DHW first since it is intermittent will work better with hotter water.
Pages: [1] 2