Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Desperate for troubleshooting advice. Please help.  (Read 8645 times)

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
Re: Desperate for troubleshooting advice. Please help.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 02:32:52 PM »

Not air bound (I call it vapor lock).  I've taken everything apart.  Every line from A -> Z (except the 2 that I'm 100% sure are not blocked). 

I can get flow from the mixing valve to my DHW plate exchanger.  This has been 100% verfied.  My DHW plate HX is NOT blocked and it gets flow all the way through it.

Next is my water > air HX.  I opened both ends.  Blew through it, it was not blocked.  I blew water out, then I could physically feel air going through it.  When I hook the line back up between the DHW HX and the water > air HX, I don't get flow. 

Anyone have any ideas now?  I'm leaning towards a weak pump.  Does this make sense?  The distance between my two HXs is only about 3'; it will make it through one, but not the other (and I'm 100% sure it isn't blockage.
Husqvarna - Rancher 460, 18"
28 Ton Splitter

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »

Did you see something obviously wrong with the t-stat when you took it out? If you try to run the system with the stat out I think the water will take the path of least resistance which is not through the exchangers.

If I looks ok you can experiment with it by placing it in a pot of water and start to heat it up. If you have a thermometer you can see what temp the stat opens. You should see a change in the 140* range.

If that checks out you may have a pump issue. I know it's only a few years old but the impeller may be worn down ( furnace filled with hard water) or maybe even loose on the shaft??

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »

This is like a giant game of Clue...

I'm fairly confident the pump is not the issue.  I can open a port and water blasts out with as much force as I've ever seen.  The boiler was also filled with softened water and then treated with corrosion inhibitor.

However, I like what you said about "the path of least resistance."  It's leading me towards something...

With my T-stat broken (and now completely removed) the mixing valve is open.  Ergo, it has 3 "out ports" and 1 "in" port.  I'm thinking, perhaps, boiler water is going into the valve and then dead-heading itself again the top 2 "out" ports and then just looping down to the intended "out" port back to the OWB.

Here is a link to a Central Boiler brand mixing valve: http://store.myheatingoptions.com/thermostatic-valve-kit/

Look at the graphic of the valve cut in half, then imagine it without the regulating T-stat inside.  Do you guys think I might be on to something here?

Would something as simple as a check valve fix this, or do I need to create a bypass loop to force water in the correct direction?
28 Ton Splitter

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 05:33:02 PM »

Looks like you would need to block the internal bypass passage inside the housing.

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »

Update to all who might care:

The boiler is back in service!  I replaced the T-stat inside the mixing valve, and viola... magic.
28 Ton Splitter

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 01:13:37 PM »

The boiler is back in service!  I replaced the T-stat inside the mixing valve, and viola... magic.

Congratulations!  I'm glad it's back in service and it wasn't an expensive fix.  Where did you get your new T-stat for the thermostatic mixing valve?  I've begun my 6th season my e-classic 1400 and I'd like to have a spare on hand for the "just in case scenario".  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 09:05:23 PM »

Congratulations!  I'm glad it's back in service and it wasn't an expensive fix.  Where did you get your new T-stat for the thermostatic mixing valve?  I've begun my 6th season my e-classic 1400 and I'd like to have a spare on hand for the "just in case scenario".  Roger

From the pictures I’ve seen of em, almost looks like a standard automotive thermostat with a rubber ring on it, kinda like Cummins uses in the 5.9’s.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 05:51:27 AM »

Sometimes things get overthunked, it is usually something mechanical and personally the mixing valve would have been my first guess, I would keep a spare on hand or eliminate it all together!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Corngrinder

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 06:04:46 AM »

I bought a new mixing valve from my local dealer (~$50) - opened it up and took the T-stat out and put it in mine.  I don't think you can use an automotive type due to the dual temperature settings inside the mixing valve.  Although, automotive type T-stat gaskets work in a pinch.

We're planning to build a new house on the property in a few years.  I'll definitely be creating bypass loops for mine in future... I'm actually very excited about being able to re-plumb my entire set-up now that I've fiddled with it a bit.  It's going to have so many valves and loops and bypasses, I won't even know what to do with myself.
28 Ton Splitter
Pages: 1 [2]